CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Issodhos @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 00:16:27 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/00 1:07:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  What?  You get *bills* for childbirth?  What sort of third-world country do
>  you live in?  What the hell is happening when the alleged richest country
>  in the world makes its citizens pay out money for childbirth?

     Actually, Alister, the philosophical question of why one's neighbors
should be required to pay for the hospital costs of delivering one's baby
aside, all economically productive citizens down under who pay taxes "pay out
money for child birth" -- unless of course, Aussies have become so altruistic
that they work as doctors, nurses, orderlies, hospital janitors, ambulance
drivers, receptionists, equipment manufacturers, cooks, etc. without pay.

<snip>

>  But I don't think many of us realise here that you've got to pay out for
>  childbirth.  What happens when, for example, someone's brought in to a
>  hospital after a car accident?  Do they have to pay their bills for it
>  regardless of capacity to pay?

    If they do not have insurance, individually contracted or company
provided, they get treated and the other paying customers make up the
difference in higher costs.  If not, and they have the ability (the working
middle class for all practical purposes), they will be put on a monthly
payment plan structured to their income.  If they or the other party (if at
fault) has automobile insurance, the insurance company pays.

  Of course, none of this addresses the question of preventative routine
health care which is where the real issue lies for the lower income working
people in America.
Yours,
Issodhos

 <snip>