CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael & Donna Brungo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:16:08 -0500

Amanda Jo:

I myself am also a Type I Diabetic and was also diagnosed with Celiac's.
Neither of these diseases are easy to deal with...and both can be
baffling, depressing, confusing, and sometimes overwhelming.

I have chosen to make my own bread (in a bread machine, of course!) with
mixes from the Gluten Free Pantry.  I have found these to be easy and
tasty.  This bread works well for sandwiches - which is ideal for a
packed lunch.  You must realize however that only certain deli meats and
certain cheeses are gluten free. The Dietz and Watson line of luncheon
meats is acceptable.  Although they can be a bit pricey - they are worth
it.  Salads are always a good choice - again you have to be very careful
of your choice of dressing.  Lately I have been using the Wishbone
Balsamic Vinegarette.  It's very good.

One of the main problems that I have found over the years is that many
Celiac cookbooks concentrate on cakes, cookies, and pastries.  Well, as
diabetics, we shouldn't be eating a lot of this stuff anyway....so when
I feel the urge for a cookie (and we all do on occasion!) I order from
the Gluten Free Cookie Jar in Trevose, PA.  You can get their number
from information but, I think, they also have a web site (as does the
Gluten Free Pantry).   Honestly, their chocolate chip cookies are to die
for - these are a real treat.  Another site you might try is
www.glutensolutions.com  They have many products:  Pasta (I prefer the
Pastariso brand or the Ener-G-Food brands), mixes, cookies, pancake mix
(I prefer the mix from the Really Great Food Company).  As far as your
lunch situation....when I brown bag it (as I often do), I take a
sandwich on gluten free bread, usually some fruit, and I take along an
Ener-G-Food's granola bar in case my blood sugars go a little low.
Since I have eliminated gluten from my diet, I find that I don't consume
as many carbohydrates as I once did and that can make your blood sugars
run a little low.  While you are learning about coping with these
diseases, you may want to check you sugars a little more often to keep
track and learn how certain foods may effect them.  If you have any
questions, please e-mail me.  I would be more than willing to help you
in any way I can.

Donna