INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruud Harmsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 19:48:41 +0100
18:08 12-2-2014, Kjell Rehnström:
>Pro le momento ego non ha accesso
>al grammatica de interingua, ma ego
>ipse scriberea "Il es plus facile a
>un camelo vader". Le grammatica ha
>alque como "Il es facile rider con
>le ...entes e..." In le mesme
>maniera on non besonia un
>preposition si on dice "Il es
>facile parlar interlingua." "A me
>il e facile parlar interlingua2.

Si, par. 83, http://www.interlingua.fi/gram/gramiaan.htm#P80
==
Nos pensa ir al theatro 'We are thinking of going to the theater'

On the lack of an equivalent of the English 'of' in the last
example, see § 87 below.
==

Par. 87 (traduction es sinistre in le pagina bilingue)
==
§ 87. A preposition need not be used when the infinitive can be
construed as a noun or as occupying the place of a noun.

(a) In an example like, 'It is difficult to walk in the sand,'
the infinitive is the logical subject and hence the equivalent of
a noun; the statement is identical with 'Walking in the sand is
difficult.' Here the infinitive appears without a preceding
preposition:

Il es difficile vader in le arena or Vader in le arena es difiicile.

See § 83 above.

(b) Whenever a transitive verb is followed by a dependent
infinitive as in 'I plan to go to the country,' the idea it
represents can be expressed more or less smoothly by a noun, as
in 'I plan a trip to the country'

Io plana vader al campania.

Hence after a transitive verb the dependent infinitive is not
introduced by a preposition.

In van io ha tentate convincer le 'In vain have I tried to
convince him'

Il es facile rider con le ridentes e difficile plorar con le
plorantes 'It is easy to laugh with the laughing and hard to weep
with the weeping'

Il es un grande privilegio esser inter vos iste vespere 'It is a
great privilege to be with you tonight'

Nos intende ameliorar nostre methodos de agricultura 'We intend
to improve our agricultural methods'

Ille diceva que su soror sperava revider nos 'He said that his
sister hoped to see us again' Illa time esser sol con le patiente
'She is afraid of being alone with the patient'

§ 88. A preposition before the infinitive cannot be used

(a) after constructions with voler, poter, deber, soler and

(b) after constructions with lassar, facer, also vider, audir and
other verbs of sense perception when they have an object which is
at the same time the subject of the following infinitive, as in
'I see him come.'

Io volerea dormir sed illa debe dansar 'I would (want to) sleep
but she must dance'

Illa crede que illa pote cantar 'She thinks that she can sing'

Le matre faceva le doctor venir or Le matre faceva venir le
doctor 'The mother had (made) the doctor come'

Io senti le nausea montar 'I feel the nausea rise'

Io audi le venir or Io le audi venir 'I hear him come (coming)'

Note: In the statement, Io face le studante acceptar mi consilio
'I make the student accept my advice,' the nouns can naturally be
replaced by pronouns to yield the simpler form, Io le face
acceptar lo 'I make him accept it.'

Logically the latter statement ought to be a basis for the two
assertions, 'I make him accept' (i.e., I force him to accept) and

'I make accept it' (i.e., I force people in general to accept it).

Actually the forms Io le face acceptar and Io face acceptar lo
are correct, though the second would not appear in English as 'I
make accept it' but as 'I have it accepted' or 'I cause it to be
accepted.' Similar examples are:

Illa me faceva vender le can 'She made me sell the dog'

Illa faceva vender le can 'She had the dog sold'

Io videva le infantes occider le ave 'I saw the children kill the
bird'

Io les videva occider lo 'I saw them kill it'

Io videva occider lo 'I saw it being killed'

§ 89. The neutral preposition used with the infinitive is de.

Io es felice de revider vos 'I am happy to see you again'

Le necessitate de ganiar plus es clar 'The need to earn more is
clear'

Ille se effortia de mitter le motor in motion 'He tries hard to
start the motor'

§ 90. Note: English constructions of the type, 'I want him to
come' can only be rendered as 'I want that he come.'

Io vole que ille veni.

==

etc. etc.
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
Ressources sur interlingua: rudhar.com/lingtics/intrlnga.htm