From:
Jan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2016 12:46:52 -0400

I wrote to this great group regarding Omission Beer and whether or not it was GF and safe for celiacs.  I received many replies such as these, but they all basically said the same.  I'm staying away from it.  Here are a few replies:

*Omission is "gluten removed" rather than gluten free. It is not safe to drink.

*Omission is not legit for someone with Celiac disease as the enzyme they treat to remove the gluten breaks up the DNA. That alone makes it impossible to actually test the end product. I work at U of C and we hope to publish something about this sometime hopefully soon!

*While omission beer tests GF, there are questions whether testing is sensitive enough to recognize gluten when protein snippets are so short, especially when they were designed to find proteins in wheat, which are not identical to the proteins in barley gluten.
Even If protein snippets are too small to show up on tests, they can still be big enough for your immune system to find.
Great information at www.glutenfreewatchdog.com

Jan