From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:07:50 -0700

Thank you to all who replied to my inquiry about this nail condition that I have in my fingernails.  I had read online that it is a fungus but also that it can be caused by thyroid disease.  I have been having my tsh tested, it is over suppressed.  The doctor has lowered my dosage and will do a repeat of the blood test in a couple of weeks.

Here is a summary of the responses I received:

Ron Hoggan sent me a link to an article he wrote about the natural defenses in the body that fight off cancer cells and also fungus.  He recommends going off dairy and opiate pain medications.  Here is the link to his article, and I hope it copied over correctly so it will work.

aids to carcinogens.pdf

One woman's husband had years of battling athlete's foot.  Tried all kinds of creams, etc, couldn't get rid of it.  Allergist cured it by using Lamasil oral medication and an antibiotic like doxycycline.  Shortly after that, their daughter was diagnosed celiac.  Her husband was tested and tested positive.  He has been GF ever since.  They also learned from Internet research that calcium deficiency can make skin more vulnerable to fungal problems.  Her husband doesn't eat dairy, takes a cal/mag/D supplement.

One woman advises that she has not had experience with this problem, but she feels that auto-immune seems to lead to being hyper-immune.  She says I should go back to my doctor and discuss this with him.  Our doctors are supposed to listen to us.  I agree with that.  Sometimes I feel my doctor doesn't fully understand CD and all that it encompasses, which is why I enjoy being on this listserve so much and learning from all of you.

Another woman has a similar problem and was told it was due to psoriasis.  I do not have that...yet.  Maybe it's on the way.

Another idea passed along was that fungus can be present due to a suppressed immune system and suggested seeing an immunologist.  There is something called CVID, common variable immune deficiency, and it can be hereditary.

Possible food allergy connection to onycholysis.  Check out  www.bettercontrolofhealth.com

Another woman has Reynaud's disease and gave me good tips about using food prep gloves to keep my hands dry.  Putting my hands in water definitely aggravates the condition.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFORMATION!!  I really appreciate this group!
Denise