From:
Janie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2016 20:40:37 -0800

Thank you to all who replied, I definitely received a lot of good
information!

Several people did report having anaphylactic-like reactions after eating
gluten.  Some reported being actually allergic to gluten, and some just
reported reacting in that way due to celiac.  Some reported getting
allergic type reactions to inhaling gluten (such as going into a bakery) in
addition to having celiac.

Many people who replied reported having developed new allergies later in
life unrelated to celiac (such as to shellfish) and urged me not to blame
celiac or gluten and go visit a good allergy doctor to get tested for
allergies (more on this later).

A couple of people reported getting anaphylactic reactions due to fructose
malabsorption.

I'm learning a lot about the difference between IgA and IgE but I still
have a lot to learn.

And an update:
Last night I went back to the restaurant to quiz them on the ingredients of
the meal that I had eaten, since I was planning to go to an allergy doctor
today and I wanted to make sure I knew everything that was in the meal.
After speaking to the owner, it turns out there was actually some roux
(wheat flour) in one of the side dishes that the waitress and chef had told
me was gluten-free.

So today I went to the allergy doctor that my PCP referred me to and they
did the full skin-prick test, tested me for 50+ things I think (at least it
felt that way).  I had a strong and clear reaction to one thing: wheat.

So, new question: how many of you are allergic to wheat in addition to
being celiac?

This is new for me, I grew up eating wheat and only stopped at my celiac
diagnosis about 7 years ago.  Since I mostly successfully avoid it, I'm
really not sure when it became an allergy.. I'm now the proud new owner of
an epi-pen.

Janie