IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2018 10:03:32 -0700
Psychology has a view that the brain is the prime mover of our
thoughts and actions.
So we pay less attention to factors outside the head. Leading us to
over emphasize the role
of individuals and under emphasize the role of context in a range of
cultural phenomena
from criminal justice to creative innovation. But actually the brain
provides a meeting point
for influences both internal and external to every person. p 5 paraphrase

The brain as causal introduces a new phenomenon that works against mental
patients. the stigma of having a broken brain. By focusing attention
on the brains of
individual psychiatric patients research is squarely on the brain.
The equation of mental
illness with brain disorders diminishes consideration of potentially
effective therapies that do
not physically enter the brain. Problems with individual brains are
necessarily problems with
individual people, there is an overemphasis on neural underpinnings
of mental illness and an
understatement of the role of environmental and cultural
contributions that extend beyond
individuals. p 173 paraphrase

The Biological Mind, Alan Jasanoff, Basic Books, 2018