From:
Cheryl Green <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2016 10:27:44 -0800

Hello Listmates,

Thank you so much to those who responded to my post about bread machine recommendations.  For those who are interested, I have summarized the responses I received below.

Breadman TR2500BC with gluten free setting (1 recommendation)
Cuisinart with gluten free setting (2 recommendations)
Well Built (2 recommendations - for one of the recommendations this is their second Well Built machine)
Zojurushi (1 recommendation)

One respondent mentioned that they have used several machines with no gluten free setting.  The stated that all work fine.  One interesting note was that in the models with square corners they found it was more difficult to mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  No matter how careful they were to stir with a spatula there was always some dry mix left in the corner.

Another respondent shared the following information
Recipes for bread machines are usually specific to machine in terms of volume and baking times.  There are lots sources for recipes out there, plus bread mixes, that won't work in very machine.   And, most machines make odd sized loaves that may not be conducive to sandwiches, leaving odds and ends to use up or waste.
While I'm not a bread eater myself, my adult GF kids opted to invest in Kitchen Aid mixers.  While the dough hook can handle any bread recipe, their machine gets a lot more as a mixer---to whip up cookies to muffins, beating egg whites for German schaum tortes (meringues filled with berries and whipped cream), mashing potatoes, and making royal icing for gingerbread houses.
My daughter makes homemade "fairy food" (seafoam/sponge) candy and marshmallows, starting with hot sugar syrup, for Christmas! My son has the fun attachments to makes sausage, etc.
A bread machine makes one loaf at a time.  A good mixer let's you quickly mix up two or more recipes sequentially as multiple loaves take no longer to bake in the oven than one.  Rising and baking times can be adjusted as needed!  You also have the option to use some of the dough for rolls or pizza crust.   Measuring/mixing flour is always messy part of  baking. Doing it half as often half as often saves time in prep and clean-up.
Unlike wheat bread, GF recipes almost always have 2-3 eggs which gives homemade bread a cake-like mouth feel and crumb.  (I find them "squeaky" on my teeth", not my idea of bread.)
Bread machines are also heavy so It's usually easier to leave it sitting on counter.  (And once stored away, it's easier not to haul it out...) For the majority, counter space is a valuable commodity that is best occupied by an appliance with multiple uses....
I have to confess that I do own an vintage bread machine.   It was used most as a mixer that kept "dust in the box" because time cycles on machine never seemed to much what dough needed.  When dough rose too fast/room temp too warm, it went out over the pan & onto heating element.  Or, humidity was off and loaf needed additional cooking time and had to be finished in oven... if I missed taking the mixing blade out of the pan between mixing/rising, it had to be dissected from the finished loaf.   And like baking in the oven, a bread machine can be left unwatched like a crock pot so it's doesn't free up any of your time.)

*******
*******