GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Philip Brownell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
An ICORS List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2021 10:42:33 -0600
Been reading Thomas Fuchs.  I find in his writing a confirmation of something I formulated in my book Christianity and Gestalt Therapy, when I deal with the ontology of things and suggest the organism as a living thing with properties.  Below, Fuchs casts a living thing, comprised of both subjective, lived body and objective, physical body.  The organism of GT is the organism-environment entity Fuchs describes–his “living being.”  One of the problems here, however, is that whether one holds to “mind” or a “lived body,” it is a metaphysical assertion that there actually exists this immaterial subject that cannot be reduced to mere brain function.

"In what follows, I want to address this problem from several
points of view. First, I will present the ontological relation
between lived body and living body in terms of a dual aspect
of the living being. Then I will use the concept of circularity to
describe the relation and intertwinement of both aspects. As I will
try to show,
(1) Circularity characterizes the structure and dynamics of the
living organism on different levels, thus giving rise to the
lived body;
(2) Circular causality, or downward and upward causation,
characterizes the part–whole relation of the organism,
enabling the actual effectiveness of embodied subjectivity
in the world; and
(3) The circularity of process and structure shapes the
development of the living being over time. This will
lead finally to a proposal as to how, in humans, this
development may be increasingly determined by the
embodied subject itself.”

Fuchs, T. The circularity of the embodied mind.  Frontiers of Psychology, HYPOTHESIS AND THEORY
published: 12 August 2020
doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2020.01707
Gstalt-L is an independent eCommunity of people interested in gestalt therapy theory and its various applications. Its public archives can be found at http://listserv.icors.org/scripts/wa-ICORS.exe?A0=GSTALT-L, and subscriptions can be managed by clicking on "Subscriber's Corner," which is found at the archives.