From:
Jan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2022 18:46:23 -0400

Thanks to all of you that responded.  I received 9 responses regarding my inquiry about have a low WBC count.  I will follow up on some of the suggestions....Here are the responses:

1.  Maybe lab error?

2.  You are most likely on an immunosuppressant

3.  I was diagnosed 11 years ago. My white blood cell count has been low for years. My family doctor had been watching it and 5 or 6 years ago she sent me to a hematologist. After many blood tests, it was determined that I also have the autoimmune disease Sjogren’s Syndrome! That was my cause.
Good luck figuring it out.

4.  I’ve not had a problem (celiac diagnosis 17 years ago) and I do think I’m avoiding accidental glutens. But I understand your thinking as mine was suddenly very low prior to my diagnosis.

5.  I don’t have this issue. My mom, who is not celiac, has always had this issue and has improved by taking B complex or Vitamin C.

6..It shouldn't affect WBC.
Celiac, if you have signs of malabsorption, can cause anemia due to iron deficiency,  but not WBC.

7.  How well is your celiac controlled? When was you last EGD and duodenal biopsy? If your mucosa is healed by GF Diet you can certainly rule out celiac as a cause of low WBC .

Last but not least, what us your ethnicity? There is a normal variation known as Benign Ethnic Neutropenia.

8.  Have you been screened for rheumatoid arthritis recently? This may be a marker for that other autoimmune disease.

9.  Me too! I was likely a life-long Celiac but not diagnosed until age 49, 14 years ago. My low white blood count was found at 22 after a weird pneumonia episode. I was followed by a hematologist for a year. I had a normal bone marrow test (painful!). Because I had low neutrophils (one of the WBC types) I had to have blood drawn weekly for months looking for a cyclical neutropenia disease. Didn't have that! I was diagnosed with "chronic benign idiopathic neutropenia". These days my lymphocytes tend to be lower but my neutrophils are in normal range.

So I've lived with this low white count, often just below the normal range, most of my life. I get infected toes and fingers very easily so carry Polysporin and Band-Aids in my purse. I also get chest infections easily so get the pneumonia vaccine. I bought myself urine test strips as I get silent bladder infections that turn into kidney infections. And I'm being super careful not to get COVID-19. I have a rare, unrelated neuromuscular disease (Myasthenia Gravis) that is treated by drugs that drop a person's white count. So getting Covid would be very bad for my MG.