From:
medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2020 21:47:16 -0600

Greetings friends,

I have a question for the list.  My Dad's siblings, most of them, ended
up on thyroid medication late in life.

i was positive for celiac antibodies on blood test after our child was
diagnosed celiac by symptoms, improvement on gf diet, and biopsy.

For probably 15 years, I was careful about being gluten free and keep a
gluten free house because of our child.  But life gets busy, we have
traveled alot, there are other pressures.  With time, in the last year
or so, I have started eating wheat products here and there -- a bun with
a restaurant hamburger, some fried fish from a takeout place, a slice or
two of pizza at Costco etc. sporadically.  Over the last year my TSH has
slowly been eiainf from around 1.5 , then 2.6 and  now it is over 5.  So
given family history, the doctor ordered antibody tests.  My iodine is
just inside the low end of normal.   My thyroidglubulin test is normal.
But my thyroid peroxidase antibodies are supposed to be under 9, and I
am at 29.

(1) I can't use iodized salt because using sat raises my blood pressure
too much. Kelp, though less sodium, does also.  I do eat fish in some
form (sardines, tuna, shrimp, flounder) once a week and also take
Carlson's fish oil.  Has anyone been able to improve thyroid function by
supplementing with iodine?

(2) Has anybody succeeded in bringing down thyroid antibodies by more
striclty adhering to the gluten free diet? I don't want to take thyroid
meds if I don't have to as I already have a heart rhythm issue
(supraventricular tachycardia) which I worry could be made worse by
raising my thyroid level so I am hoping for another way to bring things
back in line.

Thanks for anything you can share.

Paula in IL