Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2014 21:57:47 -0500

Hi All~~

I asked if anyone had a tried and true freezable GF hoisin sauce recipe to
use in homemade entrees for when I don't want to cook in the evenings....my
own "TV dinners." At the end of my post, though, I think I might have given
the impression that I was looking for a GF bottled hoisin sauce. Either
way, these are the responses I received. Thanks, so much, to everyone who
took time to enlighten me!

*Commercial Hoisin Sauce*

Wok Mei (2 votes) - available on Amazon

Dynasty (3 votes) - Water, sugar, vinegar, soybeans, rice, garlic, salt,
sesame oil, caramel color, onions, red chili peppers, xanthan gum, spices,
natural flavor, citric acid, star anise, sodium benzoate, ginger, licorice
root.

Premier Japan

Tom Yum paste, available at the Asian stores. A spoonful of that makes
anything good! Some of the boiled down ones are worth it.

*Homemade Hoisin Sauce*

"Oyster sauce" was originally oyster liquor set on the burner too long.
Pretty much ANY sauce, when left to simmer, makes an awesome sauce. Part of
the trick though is balancing sweet, salty, and acid. Karo (corn syrup,
which doesn't have the fructose that HFCS has) or rice syrup (ditton) adds
a subtle sweetness which is what people tend to crave in Asian food

Lee's Hoisin Sauce - makes about 1 cup
Recipe from *It's All Good* by Gwyneth Paltrow
(Can be shared w/kids 6+ mos)

1 T neutral oil (canola, grapeseed, safflower)
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 c. red miso paste (very salty-small children's taste buds are very
sensitive)
1/2 c. maple syrup
2 T brown rice vinegar (I used standard rice vinegar)

1. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and
five spice powder and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
2. Whisk in the remaining ingredients, bring to boil, cook, whisking or
stirring constantly for 3-4 min. or until slightly thickened. Let the sauce
cool before using. It keeps well in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

This is my favorite Hoisin sauce recipe.  I use it in other sauces as well
as on its own.  I’ve used both PB and black beans (at different times) and
they both have a good flavor.  I have not tried molasses, but that should
give it a heartier flavor.  I haven’t used a recipe with yams—that’s a bit
over the top for a basic sauce!

Of course, the soy sauce is GF tamari.  I don’t use the garlic or hot
sauce, but it all comes out pretty good.