From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2017 00:02:32 -0500

This not politically motivated, but rather an FYI.   With the on-going debate in Washington, DC, regarding healthcare, I feel the following is important to note as many may be unaware of how those decisions could impact them.

Those who have received their diagnosis since 2012 may not be aware that prior to the Affordable Care Act, celiac disease was considered a pre-existing condition by many insurance companies. Several listserv members had reported being denied coverage, changed higher premiums, or facing extended waiting periods for coverage when changing carriers or employers, for themselves or celiac children leaving the family plan.

At that time, the strategy commonly used avoid the issue was to use the term 'gluten sensitivity' (seemingly innocuous, like lactose intolerance) rather than ‘celiac DISEASE’ to identify their affliction.

Granted, information on celiac and its prognosis is much improved from just 8 years ago, but computerized medical record systems are now the norm and readily available.  Besides, EVERY celiac today is likely "out of closet" since there has been no reason to hide our diagnosis since the ACA went into effect, ending discrimination for pre-existing conditions...

I find the irony of the previous system is appalling. While the health of the large majority of celiac sufferers without a diagnosis continued to deteriorate, requiring more doctor visits/$$, the fortunate few who did get a celiac diagnosis (still less than 20%, but much improved from the original 3%) were at risk of being penalized with higher costs or loss of coverage. It didn’t matter that our health had stabilized, or more likely improved. And unlike other's RX meds, the cost of our treatment--GF food, is funded entirely out of our pockets. (Under the European system, that expense is subsidized so cost is not a deterrent to dietary compliance).

Big pharma is the only winner under that type of system as doctors continue to prescribe meds for the un-diagnosed although their symptoms will only worsen until celiac is diagnosed & gluten is eliminated. This does not qualify as health ‘care’...

Celiac disease caught with a timely diagnosis is a perfect example of preventative care, while a change in diet (unimaginably easier since Allergen Labelling Law in 2006!) minimizes the potential health effects.—My children and grandchildren are perfect examples of this!

Bev Lieven Milwaukee Wi

Sent from Mail for Windows 10