From:
medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2021 14:11:31 -0600

Dear List Friends,

I have an egg allergy and was looking at the ingredients on a brand of
egg replacer, Just Egg.   As always, I checked the ingredients, and one
of them was transglutaminase.  That rang a bell because
tissue-transglutaminase is one of the celiac blood tests, so I googled it.

As it turns out, this is the product a Canadian tv program called "meat
glue"  You can watch the segment at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLmVCgoakDE or  this Pittsburgh TV
segment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE9rdmvIz0

It is used in restaurants and making processed meat patties, sausage,
fake crabmeat, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, hot dogs and other foods
where tiny bits of protein are stuck together to make a new product.
There are quite a few medical journal articles, some of which I will
list here, that suggest it can trigger celiac symptoms.  I wonder if
this is being used unwittingly in gluten free nuggets and other
processed gf foods.  I used to eat quite a bit of surimi, like hot dogs
and my celiac daughter eats coldcuts, sausages and takeout salads pretty
often and has periodic celiac/colitis flares.

I pass these on in case anyone with unresolved symptoms may find help by
studying this further.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/is-transglutaminase-safe#1

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fped.2018.00389/ful

Paula in IL