Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2020 16:58:49 +0000

I was mailing my recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie, our traditional Easter desert, to my kids & thought listerv members & others might enjoy this easy recipe as well...
Growing up, our the holiday desert  was always pie in season.... Thanksgiving was pumpkin, obviously, cold storage apple/frozen fruit was in winter pies since hens lay few eggs in the dark winter months. By spring, pantries & freezers were getting bare but the longer days meant hens were laying again--Perfect for lemon pie!  (New/young hens (pullets) produce tiny eggs. If eggs are small, add extra.)
Lemon Meringue Pie
Separate 3 large eggs. Put whites in a grease-free bowl to make meringue later.
Blend 3 egg yolks with 1/4 c. (4 Tbs.) water & set aside. ( I use my hand blender)
In a heavy bottom pan,
Mix:          1 c. sugar             1/4 c. cornstarch                         Dash of salt
Add:     1 1/4 c water                   6 Tbs. lemon juice (bottled works & acidity is constant)                     1 tsp. grated lemon rind (or 1/2 tsp lemon extract)                     3 drops yellow food coloring (opt.)
Cook until clear, ~8 minutes, stirring often.Using a whisk, add egg yolks slowly, mixing constantly. .Cook ~2 minutes longer to cook eggs. .Remove from heat to cool slightly. Add this point, 1 tsp butter can be added so a tough skin doesn't form on filling.
Stir again before pouring into a 8" pre-baked pie shell.
Meringue-- Beat:         3 egg whites, at room temp.                 1 tsp. lemon juiceGradually add:   6 Tbs. sugarBeat until sugar dissolves & eggs whites will form a peak.
Pile meringue on top of pie. To prevent shrinking, seal meringue to crust around edges. Use the back of spoon to make curls or waves on top.  Bake at 350 degrees on upper rack until slightly browned. 8-12 min????  Keep an eye on it!  Remove from oven when sufficiently browned. (Cooler oven temp ensures whites are fully cooked.).
Set pie aside to cool for a several hours before serving (cool garage, trunk of car,...) but do not refrigerate.Leftovers(?) get refrigerated.
Not a crust maker?  Can be made with crumb/Chex crust or crust-less in casserole or custard cups.     While simple to make, we need multiple pies so I make 4 recipes at once. This about the only time of year I haul out my 12" chicken frying skillet. It's 4" deep and its large surface area heats much quicker & evenly than a deep pan with a smaller bottom--Cooks quicker with less risk of scorching.
Enjoy!
Bev in Milwaukee

        Make filling for ~8" pie,  Recipe can be multipled needed.