Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2021 21:49:31 +0000

Thanks to all who wrote in to offer suggestions onhow to avoid cross contamination in products.  My post related to supplements and foodsprocessed on shared equipment. ………………………….. Randy wrote that his dietician,who is celiac, advised him to avoid consuming items labeled "sharedequipment…."   Lin responded, “I buyOTC vitamins that specifically say gluten free, but most of my prescriptionmedications say they don’t add gluten, but don’t test for it. If a brand saysGF, I’m voting with my wallet and feel safer… I avoid packages of anything thatsay they’re produced in a facility that contains wheat… I try to buy my nuts atPassover time to avoid wheat or brands that don’t mention wheat.  “I use canned and jarredgoods that aren’t labeled as GF if they’re inherently GF. As long as there’s nowarning, I go by the allergy label.”  Jean wrote, “I do eatfoods that are labeled gluten-free … foods without gluten-containingingredients (but I do check that the oats are listed as gluten-free), and I doeat foods processed in a facility that also processes wheat. I trust goodcleaning standards and I feel food manufacturers take allergies seriously.”  Mary said, “I do nottake any vitamins that are not marked gluten free. Chewables and capsules aremost likely to be g.f.   “I have found all nuts (andall snack foods, for that matter)to be contaminated, except for Planter’s,non-mixed, uncoated nuts. You can search to see if there’s a nut company withthe gluten-free certification. Same for other snack foods.  “For pasta sauce, I useonly Muir Glen, which I believe is certified, but I don’t have a jar in thehouse right now to check on that, or Classico, which is labeled gluten free.”  Cathy wrote, “I dopurchase items that do not have any gluten ingredients (like tomato sauce) evenif it does not state Gluten Free. I do consume productsthat are not labeled gluten free. If the label states ‘made in a facility thatprocesses food containing wheat’ I may buy it (it really depends on theproduct). I find if a company is willing to state made in a shared facility,they are usually willing to state made on shared equipment.  If the label states made on shared equipment,I will not buy it.”  Pamwrote: “This is one of those grey areas where everyone needs to make their ownpersonal informed decision, depending on your personal comfort and reactionlevel…Whenever possible, Ichoose foods labeled gluten free over foods that have a ‘may contain wheat’warning. When that is not possible, I will check with the manufacturer to seeif they have any online information.   “If they are makingwheat cookies in the same facility, the possibility for cross contamination ishigh, especially if they are using the same equipment for the GF cookies.Airborne flour can easily cross contaminate a batch of GF cookies, as canleftover dough bits in the machine. I have less concern if they are onlypackaging wheat products and not manufacturing them.  “The Gluten Free Watchdog has tested manyproducts with ‘may contain wheat’ statements, and the vast majority do not havedetectable levels of gluten. And of course, some products labeled gluten-freecontain some wheat.  Still, I will alwayschoose a product marked GF over one that isn't or has an allergy statement. Atleast it means they have thought about it…Anything made with lentils, whichhave a high degree of CC, I would stay away from unless marked GF.  Same for buckwheat, millet, and oats.For uncooked, whole lentils, always sort through them and wash themthoroughly (I do this for all beans). I especially do not buy anything from thebulk bins that I am not able to rinse before using.  “For the vitamins, Iwould want to know what type of CC they are concerned about. Is it just thatthey don't ask their suppliers about gluten? Or are they actually processingother gluten products onsite? Can you find a different supplier of the vitaminsthat will commit to supplying GF vitamins?”  Donna responded with thesecomments:  “Bbecause I do best with foodsand supplements that are between 0 and 5 parts per million of gluten I chooseto use Country Life Certified Gluten-Free supplements… I do not purchaseproducts where the food has been processed on lines that also contain wheat… Ichoose CGF food processed food. I do eat a mostly whole foods diet.”  Joe wrote, “I've never oncefelt the need to call a manufacturer. In 30 years of being on a gf diet, I'vefound it sufficient to rely on the labels, and have not, to the best of myknowledge, been glutened…due to commercial cross-contamination. The only timesI've been glutened were by well-meaning relatives who baked something thatwould have been gf, if only they'd cleaned their equipment first!  “With the current labelingrestrictions, I often won't buy something produced on the same lines as thingsmade with wheat, as it may be difficult to clean between runs. Made in the samefacility, I'm less concerned. For products that are naturally gluten free, suchas tomato sauce, as well as anything else explicitly labeled as gf, if thelabel says nothing about possible cross contamination, then by law there mustbe no possible cross contamination, at least not with wheat or the other top allergens…So,if the label doesn't note possible cross contamination and the ingredients aregf, I don't fret about it, and go ahead and use those products with no worries.”