INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2015 18:04:32 +0000
Car Thomas Breinstrup,
I hope you and the other members of this list can excuse me for not writing in Interlingua in this particular case - hopefully someone can reply to me off-line - and certainly my command of Interlingua is sufficient to accept a reply in Interlingua here.
> Dunque veni al 15nte incontro nordic de interlingua in Danmark in julio
> 2016: cinque dies con interlingua de matino a vespere e con cursos de
> interlingua. Nos garanti que vos va omnes parlar interlingua fluentemente ja
> post un o duo dies, proque vos es in bon compania international.

I would absolutely love that. Some time ago, more than 10 years, I was making plans to participate in an Interlingua conference in Bulgaria. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our travel plans that year, and we have not been able to consider a trip to Europe since. There is a (very small) chance that I will be traveling this summer with (probably only) one of my children. I will make a note of the dates of the conference.
> Memora que il ha numerossissime cursos de interlingua e grammatica de> interlingua in linea, toto gratuite, dunque usa los - e controla sempre tu
> messages e textos per un dictionario e/o grammatica, ANTE inviar los. Isto
> es respecto pro le lingua e lectura plus agradabile pro le lectores de tu
> messages.

I might disagree with your use of "numerossissime" here. As I've mentioned recently (in my humble and error-rich idiolect of Interlingua), I really enjoy Interlingua, but there are many other things I enjoy and only so many hours in a day - and as far as linguistic interests go, Interlingua is just one of many. Considering that I haven't really done anything with Interlingua in so many years, I find it remarkable that I can still use Interlingua at all. I do apologize if my errors are not "agradabile" for those reading them - but I do indeed consult a dictionary (maybe not often enough) and I am learning in the process.
Improving the available on-line courses for Interlingua is an area where someone with the time, talent, and interest could be very helpful. In the last few weeks, I've been trying to brush up on my Interlingua, and I have been fairly disappointed by the lack of reliable and easy-to-use materials. I listened to all the "Radio Interlingua" that were on YouTube and I had planned on searching for the other episodes. (Thanks for the link.) I have only good things to say about Radio Interlingua.
As for the "numerossissime" courses you linked to, there's really a whole lot that someone can, say, pull up on their tablet and work through. I looked at the "Curso de interlingua pro comenciantes anglophone" and found the sound files very easy to access -- but the wind noise on the microphone makes it very unpleasant to listen to. Looking for information about Interlingua on YouTube pulls up only enough good videos that a person could watch in a single evening.
I did start a course a few years back with Paul LeCorde (if I remember correctly.) For whatever reason, we never finished the course. (I think Paul got busy with other things - but maybe I stopped sending my lessons back to him.) I also started a course that Harleigh Kyson had written, but it soon became clear that it included many "kysonisms" and was not teaching the Interlingua of IALA, the conferences, or Panorama. Someone else (I'm pretty sure it was Paul Bartlett) was kind enough to send me a stack of old Panoramas, which I should probably start reading through again.
The beginner readings (e.g. "UN VISITA AL MERCATO IN FRANCIA") are OK and easy enough to access -- but by themselves they're very flat. Maybe a few people could read through some of the dialogs and put them on YouTube - maybe add translations on screen or in closed captions - maybe some pictures on screen to clarify what's going on. I've found plenty of photos of courses from the conference, but it would be nice to be able to see some video of one.
I found this "course" and found the videos quite pleasant. Unfortunately it only includes lessons 1, 2, and 4.
https://youtu.be/MKL6Seq44Pk

I can certainly spend more time listening to Radio Interlingua and reading my Panoramas.
> Centos de milliones comprende interlingua immediatemente, quando> illes vide un texto scribite in interlingua. Ma, como in omne linguas,> le uso active de interlingua require alcun effortios - in scriber como in parlar.

This seems like a non sequitur. In my experience, when communicating "a prime vista" the only people who care about whether I make mistakes in Interlingua (or even notice the difference between spoken Interlingua and spoken Europanto) are the few hundreds or thousand who actively speak it. The motivation for speaking Interlingua better is to have a better "in" with the "parve club".

Salutes amical,Thomas Alexander