INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefaan Vermeire <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INTERLNG: Discussiones in Interlingua
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:25:43 +0200
>In italiano, le parola es de facto "computer" (io suppone que "calcolatore"
>ha le mesme significato que "calculator" in interlingua e nederlandese). In
>germano, "Computer" se usa frequentemente al latere de "Rechner" como
>synonymo. In danese, il es equalmente "computer". Pawel Wimmer ja vos
>corrigeva quanto al polonese. Io non ha potite verificar vostre altere
>datos, mais considerante iste inaccuratessas, io debe questionar lor
>credibilitate.

It is always your good right to correct uncorrect statements, corrections
for which I am grateful. However, the different translations displayed in
my message were found in printed and on line dictionaries. Indeed, it
should be necessary that native speakers would verify the words in my list.

It should be interesting however to do some research on this particular
topic to see how often the English word and the local alternatives are
used. Is "Rechner" more popular in Germany, or is it "computer"? This can
be a topic for an academical research: to study German newspapers,
pc-magazines, internet sites, etc. We can start to have a look on the site
of Microsoft for example.

It is true that "calculator" is used in Dutch... in the Netherlands. In
Belgium (Flanders), Dutch speakers are using "rekenmachine", never
"calculator". Thus, we must be aware of regional differences in a single
language. Maybe there can be a difference in the use of the word "computer"
in Germany, Austria, the Allemanic cantons of Switserland, the Germans in
Hungary and Belgium.

>Le criterio pro eligibilitate de un parola non-grammatical in interlingua
>es le si-nominate "regula de tres". Si un parola occurre in tres del quatro
>sequente unitates linguistic:
>
>(1) anglese
>(2) francese
>(3) "iberico" (espaniol/portugese)
>(4) italiano
>
>(ubi le germano e le russo pote reimplaciar un del quatro linguas), alora
>le parola es eligibile pro inclusion in interlingua.

Thanks for this explanation!

But in my opinion however, this cannot lead us to the conclusion that a
word is "international". This was the point I wanted to make clear.
Interlingua is a very interesting conlang, but it is still very European
based. What about the millions speakers of Hindi, Chinese and Arabian? Is
it possible to ignore these major non-European languages, or non-European
languages in general?

It isn't clear for me why Italian was taking as a reference language.
Compared to Russian, German and Turkish for example, it is rather a small
language. Why is Spanish and Portugese taken in one group? Both languages
together have more native speakers than English...