INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jay Bowks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INTERLNG: Discussiones in Interlingua
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 11:18:23 -0400
http://www.cheshire.net/~jjbowks/
TO: AUXLANG, CONLANG, INTERLNG, NOVIAL lists
re: a cry of help with IALA info research project.

In _Babel_Revisited_ by the Interlingua Institute I find the phrase
"the year 1924 saw the foundation of the International Auxiliary Language
Association (IALA), established for the purpose of inducing rapprochement
and gaining consensus for the formulation of the interlanguage. IALA was
form the first staffed and advised by a contingent of illustrious
linguists, including William Collinson, Andre Martinet, and Alexander Gode,
and scholars like Jespersen, Sapir, Shenton, Swadesh, Thorndike, and
Vendryes were active collaborators in its work."

I am very interested in knowing sources where Jespersen (of Novial), Sapir,
Shenton, Swadesh, Thorndike, and Vendryes make reference to IALA's work and
in what ways they collaborated or offered counsel.

There were others of course, von Wahl (of Occidental) and Peano of
(Latino sine Flexione).  These all added their input, and of course  E.
Clark Stillman who lead IALA for quite a while.

Are there IAL periodicals you may know of that mention IALA such
as Mundo, Novialiste, etc...

If anyone can help with background info on any of these linguists
or point me to sources where I may find their quotes I would very
much appreciate this.

Sincerely,
Jay B.