INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Mulaik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INTERLNG: Discussiones in Interlingua
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 00:19:50 EST
De un message a me:

Dear Stan,

A source for information on the Internet:

http://www.eye.etmem.edu/history/glass.html

Here are some quotes from the writer, Dr. Richard D. Drewry, M.D.:

   Nero used an emerald help up to his eye while he watched gladiators
fight. This is not proof that the Romans had any idea about lenses,
since it is likely that Nero used the emerald because of its green
color, which filtered the sunlight.

   Roger Bacon in 1298 noted the effect of looking at things through
crystals.

   It appears that the first eyeglasses were made between 1268 and
1289. In 1306 a monk of Pisa delivered a sermon in which he stated:
   "It is not yet 20 years since the art of making spectacles...
    was discovered. I myself have seen and conversed with the man
    who made them first."
    The name of the true inventor of eyeglasses remains lost in
    obscurity.

   The first spectacles had quartz lenses because optical glass
had not been developed.

>From this, I would assume that the Germanic name for eyeglasses came
from the name of the crystal first used in aiding the eyes in
reading. The monks used these crystals early to reading manuscripts
as with magnifying glass effect.

I hope that this helps.

Morey Brill