INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jay Bowks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INTERLNG: Discussiones in Interlingua
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 13:11:43 -0400
http://www.cheshire.net/~jjbowks/colapage.html

> James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
> AUXLANG list

> Danny Wier: writes...
>
> > 1) Spanish, which I think is the number two language.............

  James Chandler: writes...

> Nasty irregular verbs, but good phonetics/orthographics, and many
> speakers.  IALA Interlingua is quite close to Spanish, but simpler,
> and is apparently even comprehensible to Spaniards when spoken!
> A Brazilian recently described to me how Portuguese is under pressure
> in Brazil because the Spanish-speaking countries are pushing Spanish
> very hard as a continent-wide language.  Brazilians are very much
> obliged to learn Spanish as well as English, which seemed a heavy
> burden to me.  I am thinking of having a go at a simple intermediate
> regional IAL for South America, based on SA Span and Port.  I suppose
> IALA Interlingua might even do that job quite well, though.
>
>[...]
>
> James Chandler.

Thanks, James, for this plug in for IALA, I appreciate it, and I
agree with you, I'm sure that Ensjo who also subscribes to this
list will agree with you on this one, he is a native speaker of
Portuguese, and Portuguese is my father's language, but I'm sadly
out of practice on the written part of it, my Mother is from
Seville, but enough of family stuff, what I mean to say is that
I find Interlingua to be an ideal middle ground not only for
Spanish and Portuguese, and I have the background to speak for
this one, but also between Italian, French, Rumanian, Catalan,
Galego, and the minor Romance languages and dialects like Romansch
and Moldavian, etc.

Actually there are two systems for writing down Interlingua, the
classic orthography and the "collateral orthography" as presented
in the Gode/Blair Grammar.  The collateral orthography is almost
identical with Spanish, it uses "yo" =I and "ya" =already, it
it keeps ch=/tsh/ but does away with ch=/k/ and it changes ph:"f"
and th:"t", gets rid of double consonants just like spanish except
where they have dif. sounds (acceptar), etc.

You can check out some of these features on the Auxilingua Project
page for the Ortografia Colateral at:
http://www.cheshire.net/~jjbowks/colapage.html
and click on the target icon...

Enjoy,