INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jay Bowks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Bowks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:02:47 -0500
Hic un altere exemplo del defamation que Bob P.
continua a facer public. Ille pare intente in discreditar
le effortios de IALA e promover Occidental. Ma in
su cec odio pharisee ille non recognosce le belle
realitate inter le duo interlinguas, le Occidental e
le belle lingua international, Interlingua... que le
internationalitate in illos duo es lo que face los
tanto belle e le romanization, secun ille, de Interlingua
es un belle avantiamento pro recognoscibilitate e
legibilitate e plus facile pro le massas de parlantes
de linguas romanic.

Sincermente,
Jay B.

From: "Robert J. Petry" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
On the auxlang list an Ilaist would retranslate the Occidental I
posted into Ila.
The idea being, I guess, to show how much better Ila was than Occ.
Or, simply, just to compare the two.
I don't know if any of you read these translations, but, if you
looked closely, there was evidence the Ila is nothing more than a use
of about 80-90% of Occidental with the rest being more romanization
than Occidental has.
For comparison's sake, I checked the words from Occ and Ila for the
same group. The family. It is interesting to me to consider how close
much of the material is. Remember, Occidental began in 1922 and is
still here. Ila began officially with the publication of its grammar
and dictionary in approx. 1950-1? Yet, the individual who translates
Occ into Ila makes the claim that Occidental is similar to Ila. I
wonder if he knows which came first? Hmmmm?
In one of the translations he uses personas in place of popules. The
problem here is only a matter of choice of the writer. It has nothing
to do with the fact that Ila is supposed to be prettier. For
instance, both Ila and Occidental use the words popules, or populos.
The difference being the es ending in Occ. And, both languages use
person-es, person-as. So, it is only a matter of choice to use
popules or persones. So, who is kidding whom?
Now, here are comparative words for The Family. Considering
Occidental has 76 years of existence, with a solid framework, is it
worth a few romance endings, to leave Occidental for Ila?
Li familie (Occ)  Le Familia (Ila) Is the difference worth it?
to smile: subrider/Occ; surrider/Ila; Is this worth the change?
baby: bebe', infant/Occ; infante, baby/Ila. Worth it?
grandpa: grandpatre/Occ; granpatre/Ila. Worth it?
grandma: grandmatre, ava/Occ.; granmatre/Ila. ?
uncle: oncle/Occ; oncle/Ila. ?
aunt: tanta/Occ; amita/Ila. Worth it?
dad: papa'/Occ; papa/Ila. Worth it?
mom: mama'/Occ; mama/Ila. ??
son: filio/Occ; filio/Ila. ??
daughter: filia/Occ; filia/Ila. Is it really worth it?
dog: can/Occ; can/Ila. Same question?
camera: camera/Occ; apparato/Ila. (cine, tv: camera/Ila. Same
question?
man: hom -an, -ite', ita', -ari/Occ. [By the way, do you know the
difference between -ite' and -ita'? Our Ila friend doesn't.]
homine/Ila. So, is the change worth it?
woman: femin(a)/Occ; femina/Ila.
necklace: collier(e), collar(e)/Occ; collar/Ila.
bracelet: bracelet/Occ; bracialetto/Ila. Is this worth the change to
Ila?
husband: marito, sposo/Occ.; marito, sposo(?)/Ila.
wife: sposa, marita, fe'mina/Occ; marita, sposa, uxor/Ila.
ring: annel/Occ; annello, anulo/Ila.
watch: clocca, horloj/Occ; horologio/Ila.
to hug: inbrassar, circumbrassar/Occ; imbraciar/Ila. Now, this must
be worth it?
sister: sestre/Occ; soror/Ila.
brother: fratre/Occ; fratre/Ila.
puppu: can yun, or yun can/Occ; canino/Ila. Here we go?
kitten: cat yun, or yun cat/Occ; catton/Ila.
boy: boy, puer, infanto, farson/Occ; puero, garson/Ila.
girl: flicca, infanta, yna puella/Occ; puera/Ila.
mother: matre/Occ; matre/Ila.
father: patre/Occ; patre/Ila.
Now, I know there are other differences that have to be discussed in
such a comparison. However, all through the two languages,
ultimately, one will find maybe? a 5-10 percent overall difference.
But, those differences do not change the internationality of Occ. it
only makes Ila more "Spanish". Now, I like Spanish, a lot. That was
my favorite language in school for four years of classes. So, if I
want to reach more people by the millions, I should use Spanish
because the base of users is greater than Ila's, and Occidental's.
So, what's the point between the two? I believe Ila has cut out at
least two, if not more, language groups that Occidental still
maintains by it's lack of "Spanish/Portuguese/Latinized endings."
So, to start with, at least for this post, are the differences above
worth changing for? I don't think so. And, of course, time will tell.
That's always the final test anyway.
Any thoughts?
Amico,
Al l sue,