INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
STAN MULAIK <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INTERLNG: Discussiones in Interlingua
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 12:44:27 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask] (STAN MULAIK)
>Newsgroups:
 alt.uu.lang.misc,sci.lang,alt.language.artificial,soc.culture.europe

[log in to unmask] (Don HARLOW) writes:

>On 23 Jan 1997 00:43:35 -0500, [log in to unmask] (STAN MULAIK)
>wrote:

>>[log in to unmask] (D Gary Grady) writes:
>>
>>>[log in to unmask] (STAN MULAIK) wrote:
>>

>>[snip]
>>(Kjell, can you comment?) And while not every other word in German is
>>Latin, there are many words of Latin origin, many of which are not
>>readily apparent as Latin because they are calques.  For example,
>>annehmen < accipere. Latin has penetrated the Germanic and Slavic
>>languages to a far greater extent than these languages have penetrated
>>the romance languages.
>

>A point you have raised before. But this would not, I think, give
>significant help to the average German-speaking student in
>recognizing, or even learning, the corresponding word in Interlingua
>or any other Romance language.

I was checking over at the library today and discovered a Duden dictionary
on Fremdwo"rter. It had over 48,000 entries, many of them from Latin,
Romance, English.  German was a very absorptive language. But German is
full of Latin words, undisguised: Arbitrurient, Adjutant, Assistent,
Delinquent, Dilettant (It.), Dozent, Emigrant, Essenz, Quintessenz,
Exzellenz, Gratulant, Horizont, Infant, Ingredienzien, Intendant,
Konkurrent, Konsonant, Kontinent, Kontingent, Kurant, Kurrent, Kurrende,
Leutnant, Marketender, Okzident, Orient, Ozon, Pedant, Pha"nomen,
Pra"zens, Pra"zent, Pra"tendent, Protestant, Regent, Rekonvaleszent,
Rendant, Skribent, Student, Superintendent, Tangente, Linie, Transparent
Vagant, Adjunkt, Advokat, Affekt, Akt, Altan, Anekdote, Aphorismus,
Apparat, Armada, Armee, Atom, Attest, Biskuit, Coupe' Coupon, Couplet,
Datum, Depot, Deputat, Devise, Duplikat, Edikt, Effekt, Eldorado,
Enklave, Epigramm, Esplanade, Estrade, Etikette, Extrakt, Fabel, Fatum,
Faktum, Konfekt, Konfektion, fix - fixiert, Institut, Irredenta,
investieren, Investitur, Kalender, Kanal, Kapita"n, Kommissar,
Kommune, Kommo"die, Kompass, Kompromiss, Konfekt, Konsonant,
Konstitution, Konsul, Kopie, Kurass, Lineal, Magister, Medizin, Minute,
konstatieren, konstant, Konstellation, konstruieren, Konstruktion,
Konversation, konvex, Konvikt, konzentrieren, Konzert, kordial, Kork,
Korn, Kornett, Ko"rper, korrekt, korrespond, Korridor, Kosmos, Kostum,
Orthographie, Pa"dagog, Papier, Patrizier, Patron, Phantasie, Polizei,
Portal, Prozession, Puls, Quadrat, Quart, radieren, Region,...
Perspektive, pervers, Pessimisus,Phase, Physik, Pille, Planke, Projekt,
Audienz, Akzent, Alarm, Alkohol, Allegorie, Alphabet, A"quater,
Architekt, Aristokratie, Arithmetik, Auktion, Autor, Autorita"t, Bagage,
Ballade, Bibliothek, Bilanz, Billard, Defekt, delikat, Devise, differieren,
diktieren, direkt, diskret, Dissident, Distanz, dividieren, Doktor,
doppelt, Echo, Edikt, ediren, Effekt, Etymologie, ... Publikum, pulsieren,
Pupille, Quadrille, Quartett, radikal, raffiniert, rangieren, Ration....
etc. etc. etc.

But many words were taken into German from Latin or Romance forms as
calques  like locus communis > Gemeinplatz, curriculum vitae > Lebenslauf,
clairvoyant > Hellseher, abstract > abgezogen, deductio > ableitung,
omnipotens > allma"chtig, expressio > Ausdruck,  exposition > Ausstellung,
extraordinarius > ausserordentlich, conversio > Bekehrung, vocatio > Berufung,
perspicuus > durchsichtig, proprie nomen > Eigenname, impressio > Eindruck,
simplex > einfalt, imprimere > einpra"gen, monotonos (gr.) > einto"nig,
sentimentalis > empfindsam, gr. geographia > Erdbeschreibung, orbis
terrarum > Erdkreis, illuminatio > Erleuchtung, manu habere > handhaben,
manuscriptum > Handschrift, auditorium > Ho"rsaal, sectio conical >
Kegelschnitt, lumen ecclesiae > Kirchenlicht, philanthropus > Menschfreund,
humanitas > Menschlichkeit,  orthographia > Rechtschreibung,
circumspectus > Umsicht

So, German contains many words of a Latin legacy.
I have only scratched the surface too.

>Also, are these actually calques, or simply words that have converged
>in development? Though I'm no German expert, I believe that you can,
>in certain syntactic conditions, change the German to "nehmen ... an",
>while you definitely can't change the Latin to "capere ... ad".

At this point I'm not 100% sure about "annehman", but an = ad, and
nehmen = capere, and while they have the same meaning, they don't seem
to be cognates via protoindoeuropean. On the other hand, the lists I
have been giving you are out of "Woher" "Ableitendes Wo"rterbuch der
deutschen Sprache", an etymological dictionary of word derivations.

--
Stanley A. Mulaik
School of Psychology, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332