GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 00:14:24 -0500
Dr Saine, Happy New Century, and Thanks again for taking a leap with bold and
relevant proposals. It is fair to say that some of us exploit the G-L with
nothingness (myself included), but you have persistently used this tool to table
ideas and issues that are relevant to Gambia’s political survival.

I am appealing to the G-L members to take back, maybe a paradigm shift, to
critically focus on the issues raised, and analyzed  the merits of the proposals.
Could the whole idea of National conference, Truth telling and Healing a process
of over-killed, or has our process deteriorated to a point that such a process is
needed. Inquiry of a sort was used by the AFPRC when they took over, and it was
seen as fundamental before moving forward. The named Algali became a popular word
in the Gambia’s political lexicon, and truth telling and the commissions were
very much identifiable with Jammeh himself. Opponents of Jammeh saw the whole
exercise as a  charade that was used to go after them, and ultimately helped in
his quest for legitimacy.

After reading the paper, and discussed it with few friends, the general consensus
is the APRC would never even consider such a proposal. The other argument is what
is stopping the APRC to react to the proposal and argue their position. They have
the resources, the office of the president, foreign affairs Ministry, to address
these issues and give their own spin on issues. This can only help the
democratization process, and taking the silence posture, only reinforces our
negative perception of the regime. I am also personally appealing to Halifa to
give us his reaction to Dr.Saine’s proposal.

Musa Jeng