GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
arona john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:33:56 PST
Yusupha,
       Your posting is quite interesting.You are entirely right to said that
religion is a sensitive issue with Gambians .But I,however, beg  to disagree
  with you to describe Imam Fatty as a Fundamentalist for reminding Gambians
to be true Muslims.Well,the Imam's statement against our women marrying
Toubabs and birth control in particular  are in line with Islamic
teachings.The situation in The Gambia is such that sometimes  people give
away their daughters to none muslims for marriage.This is not totally in
parallel with the Shariah.Islam does,however,allows a Muslim man to marry a
none muslim woman with the hope that the husbandmay one day bring her to
Islam.Marrying other people of different races and tribes is also encouraged
by Islam.
       Yes,Islam does allowed birth control but not as it is done by some
quarters today.The very fact that Islam encourages us to allow about two
years for our wives to breastfeed the new born before touching them again
implies that birth control is allowed in Islam.Well,I think there is no harm
for a man to use condom when touching his wife to allow birth control but
the catch is when these condoms are been given to young youth who are yet to
marry it leads to neagative effects in our society.Our present society
clearly illustrates this,though it is hard to say.Imam Fatty is among the
true Islamic scholars we have in the Gambia.It is just unfortunate that he
is the State House Imam.Why this is so is because some people might say his
sermons are politically linked.
     This is my stand with regards to Imam Fatty's sermons.There are always
two sides to everything.Let the debates surfaces.

         ALLAHUMA SALI WASALIM ALA NABIYYINA MUHUMMAD.WASALAM

ARONA