GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:00:18 EST
Here, here! Independent. Thanks for the truth.

Jabou Joh

<< The following is a copy of the Independent's view of Gambia-L. Please read
on

 Independent View
 Cease fire, Gambia-L
 When the Gambia-L initiative was launched, it was for a        good purpose;
giving its users around the world a platform to exchange ideas and allow the
culture of free expression to blossom.  Now, the situation is not so good.
We find that    this culture of free speech is not being used objectively.
 Gambia-L has degenerated to a forum for abuse, targeting personalities
instead of ideas.  How different this is from the impression of the very
first dispatches urging users to adhere to the fine principles of
intellectual discourse in the web.      Then it was a positive thing.
However it seems the fact that the number of users has increased ten fold has
made it a    plaything and negatively so.  Why this has happened is not easy
to determine. Perhaps users can help out.
 Words like 'knave', 'brat' and 'imbecile' have unashamedly woven their way
into the writing of many Gambia-L users.        It is now a battleground
where personal feuds are settled. Sometimes bitter intellectual wrangling on
the web has climaxed to a point where contributors form groups pitted against
each other, even over the most trivial of issues.       Thus what might begin
as a promisingly healthy intellectual exchange is soon soiled with anger and
rudeness. The      result     is obvious hostility, hatred and sometimes
vendettas.
 It is regrettable that Gambia-L is lending itself to a situation that will
bring its own undoing and that of its users.  We    believe that the net
should not be platform for quarrels and character assassination. Since it is
for the consumption of     the public, anything that goes in it should be
tempered with    the most reasonable and positive turn of mind.  Users should
be responsible enough to know that the best way to    intellectual maturity
is the application of restraint when confronted with emotionally charged
situations.
 There are no two ways about being responsible. If personal opinions of each
other could be kept away from Gambia-L, those who do not have an interest,
time or liking for these unhealthy exchanges would be attracted to it.
 Contributors, in thoughts and ideas, should aim to bring      about positive
change. As Gambian's who 'talk' through the web, we should try not to be seen
as irresponsible and malicious on the international stage. Let us realise
that it is    not only Gambians who have access to Gambia-L. The impression
we give to others through what we write can be    very strong. We should
blame none but ourselves if we are seen in a bad light. Gambia-L users cease
your fire.