GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Habib Ghanim, Sr" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:01:58 -0800
FYI

This is pretty scary especially given how they try to get you
   to call. Be sure you read this & pass it on to all your
   friends & family so they don't get scammed!

   SCAM: Don't Respond To Emails, Phone Calls, Or  Web Pages
   Which Tell You to Call An "809" Phone Number. This is a very
   important issue of  Internet Scam Busters! Because it alerts
   you to a scam that is spreading *extremely* quickly - can
   easily cost you $100 or more, and - is difficult  to avoid
   unless you are aware of it. We'd like to thank Paul Bruemmer
   and Brian Stains for bringing this scam to our attention.
   This scam has also been  identified by the National Fraud
   Information Center and is costing victims a lot of money.
   There are lots of different permutations of this scam, but
   HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

   Permutation #1: Internet Based Phone Scam Via Email You
   receive an email, typically with a subject line of "*ALERT*"
   or "Unpaid account."  The  message, which is being spammed
   across the net, says:  I am writing to give you a final
   24hrs to settle your outstanding account.. If I have not
   received  the settlement in full, I will commence legal
   proceedings without further  delay.  If you would like to
   discuss this matter to avoid court action, call  Mike Murray
   at Global Communications on at 1-809-496-2700.

   Permutation #2: Phone Or Pager Scam You receive a message on
   your answering machine or your pager which asks you to call
   a number beginning  with area code 809. The reason you're
   asked to call varies: it can be to  receive  information
   about a family member who has been ill, to tell you someone
   has been arrested, died, to let you know you have won a
   wonderful prize,  etc.

   In each case, you're told to call the 809 number right away
   Since there  are  so many new area codes these days, people
   unknowingly return these calls.

   If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $25
   per-minute! Sometimes the person who answers the phone will
   speak broken English and  pretend not to understand you.
   Other times, you'll just get a long recorded  message. The
   point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as
   possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you
   get your phone  bill, you'll often be charged more than
   $100.00.

   HERE'S WHY IT WORKS:  The 809 area code is located in the
   British Virgin  Islands (the Bahamas).  The 809 area code
   can be used as a "pay-per-call"  number, similar to 900
   numbers in the US. Since 809 is not in the US, it  is not
   covered by US regulations of 900 numbers, which require that
   you be notified and warned of charges and rates involved
   when you call a "pay-per-call" number. There is also no
   requirement that the company provide a  time period during
   which you may terminate the call without being  charged.
   Further, whereas many US phones have 900 number blocking to
   avoid these kinds of charges, 900 number blocking will not
   prevent calls to the 809 area code.  We recommend that no
   matter how you get the message, if you are asked to call a
   number with an 809 area code that you  don't recognize,
   investigate further and/or disregard the message.

   Be  *very* wary of email or calls asking you to call an 809
   area code number. it's important to prevent becoming a
   victim of this scam, since trying to fight  the charges
   afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you
   did  actually make the call. If you complain, both our local
   phone company and  your long distance carrier will not want
   to get involved and will most  likely tell  you that they
   are simply providing the billing for the foreign company.
   You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues
   they have done  nothing wrong.

   Please forward this entire issue of Internet Scam Busters! To
   your friends,  family and colleagues to help them become
   aware of this scam so they don't get ripped off.