GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Essa Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 19:36:01 EST
To Matarr:
  I have to agree with your views concerning PDOIS and its recent publications.  I've been puzzled myself to see this great editorial taking a backward leap from revolution.  Basically, the paper fashioned itself from scrolls of democracy (during the Ex-President's regime), to Yaya's courier.  We can all recollect those days when you look forward to buying the PDOIS editorial.  And why that's changed would have to do with conflicting views each of us have seen over the years.  And therefore, when your best efforts have failed to function, your worst fears jump to action.  And I think that's the plight of many Gambians today.

Also, I want to briefly comment on those using heavy vocab on the L.

To bring along change in any nation, there has to be an understanding of the fundamental problems hampering our progress.  Our main problem in The Gambia and Africa at large has been COMMUNICATION.  We should understand that it is very, very hard to engage in dialogue in a foreign tongue (english).  I think that lack of proper communication has messed us all up.

The few that made it with a degree or acolades in the English language, are busy throwing all kinds of flamboyant words around the L.  I think it is appropriate to leave fancy english to dictators..when they need to support their ideas.  What good is language if people can't understand you.  Let's not be fooled. Being able to write proper english doesn't mean you are EDUCATED.  For all English is...is a LANGUAGE just like fula or wollof.  It is no different!  What matters is being able to get your point across the table.  If that purpose is not met, then your communication skills are POOR.  You would agree that most Americans can barely cross their Ts and dot their Is, but when they speak to you, you can't fault them for not being properly heard.  Now, if you fancy the "english language", and take a hobby out of its big words, then write a book on synonyms, acronyms, and the like.  The L is for open dialogue that is easily understood by the masses.  Let us communicate and move!
 forward to broader issues.  If we can't communicate at the forefront, imagine what will happen when more complex views and ideas are laid on the table.

Thank You!

Essa