GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 22:28:32 +0200
Alpha, Soffie and Karamba, thanks for this report. It shows that you are doing
a great job.

Below is my reply to some of the points you raised. Please take note that I
deleted some of your original text and left only what I have comments on.

On 11 May 00, at 20:29, Alpha Robinson wrote:

> Progress made so far
>
> It was recognised that efforts from abroad can only be effective with the help of
> someone or a group of people co-ordinating things in The Gambia. Some progress
> has been made to that effect, but certainly any assistance from people on the
> ground will be very highly appreciated.

I think we should try to get the mission statement and constitution of the newly formed
Omar Barrow Foundation posted to the Gambia-l so that we could see whether we can
have some co-operation with the people behind.

> In the meantime, Ancha Bala Gaye has accepted to play a role in co-ordinating
> activities relating to our relief efforts. Ancha was contacted following the
> announcement on the List of the establishment of a Memorial Foundation in support
> of victims’ families through her collective efforts with other people (Ancha was
> a member of the GESO team on the List).

Its great to know that you are in touch with Ancha.
Yes, she has been one of the driving forces of GESO here on the list before her return and is still
one of the contact persons of GESO-Gambia. She is someone who is reliable.

> Sam Sarr of FOROYAA was also suggested,
> as reported by Buharry before. He will also be contacted to see how he can work
> together with the Memorial Foundation or assist in any other way, if he so
> agrees.

I think Sam Sarr, Lawyer Ousman Sillah and Emmanuel Joof are good choices if
they accept being part of this Memorial Foundation.

> Are there any
> suggestions of a name for the Fund (if we agree to go ahead)?

My suggestions for the name is:
1. Ebrima Barry Memorial Fund
or
2. April 2000 Massacre Memorial Fund

Thats all for now. Keep up the good work down there.

Momodou Camara

P.S Latjor, thanks for having Pa Dacosta's interview on your website. May Allah
give him long life and accept his prayers and I wish we have many of his kind
in Gambia.