GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 22:07:49 +0200
Friends,

after reading this in todays Observer, I think time has come for the
families to notify a formal information to the authorities about the
incidents in april, both the killings, but also the unlawful arrest, torture
etc. I feel that even the president  now issues a commission of inquiry, the
people who suffered from infringements of police, military, paramilitary
have the right to start a lawsuit. They can not wait for a commission of
inquiry, which can take months and years to reach a report and conclusion on
the april incidents.

And it´s clear to me that the task is not to seek  justice for the people,
institutions offended, but to "find any aspects of events which took place,
look into the disturbances and establish the causes leading to them, and
come up with recommendations to ensure that those events never again happen
in this country"

For a beginning, they can charge the people/soldiers who were present those
days individually, and those who took command (we have eye witnesses on who
they are, names etc) and next the state. I feel that´s the only way directly
into a lawsuit. Bring them to court. And if the police refuse, or have no
evidences to start a case, then we know that the Prosecution  has not done
their job either.
Even the commission at the end should find out that someone is  responsible,
how can we be sure that the people who have suffered will be compensated,
can prosecute for justice. Sometimes there is a timelimit, if you want to
start a lawsuit. And I want these people to park such one, so they can come
back even their cases will maybe put aside, because of the commission
started. Justice must be found no matter what the authorities do.

Comment from Asbjørn Nordam

<From Observer 23.may 2000
<"Commission members meet press
<
<The chief justice, Felix Lartey, who is also chairman of the
<newly-established commission of inquiry into the incidents of April 10 and
<11, has called on civilians and members of the security forces to give
<"helpful evidence" and assistance to the commission to enable it to
<accomplish its task effectively. The commission will begin sittings,
<Wednesday, at the High Court, Banjul.
<
<Speaking at a press conference yesterday at the High Court building,
<Justice Lartey outlined the commission's terms of reference as "any aspect
<of the events which took place in various parts of the country before or on
<10 and 11 April 2000."
<
<The chief justice said the commission will look into the disturbances and
<establish the causes leading to them.
<
<He added that the commission will also be expected to come up with
<recommendations  with a view to forestalling similar incidents in the
<future "to ensure that those events never again happen in this country
<known for tolerance, peaceful resolution of disputes and respect for the
<rule of law. What we will definitely not act upon is rumours. Rumours are
<not the way of getting to the root or bottom of the subject of inquiry.
<Therefore, if all you have are rumours, please keep away from the
<commission. But if you know something or had witnessed anything relating to
<the disturbances of 10 and 11 April 2000, nothing should preclude you from
<getting in touch with the secretary of the commission at the High Court and
<ultimately testifying before the commission. If you do not come forward,
<you will be doing a great disservice to yourself, your conscience and the
<country.  In that sense, you will also be failing in your duty to the
<country, those who lost their lives, or were injured, or whose property was
<burnt, destroyed, damaged or in any way affected."