GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 06:18:35 -0700
Gambia-L,

The ability to recognize and accept moral and ethical principles of conduct
as binding is what many call "CONSCIENCE."
Conscience, many a time, refers to the inner sense of right and wrong in
moral choices as well as satisfaction or dissatisfaction that emanate from
our actions.

There are many things people refer to as differences between humans and
animals. The biggest difference is one word..... CONSCIENCE.
A sociopath or a psychopath is one who is said to be without a conscience
and can safely be classified as an animal. Every human being, regardless of
origin, race, creed, or color has a conscience. It is given to every child
at birth. It is a gift.

What is happening in our motherland today is nothing short of what I call
"Erosion of Conscience" of our leadership.
Conscience is fading when the forces of power is used by the leadership to
suppress the individuals' basic rights.
Conscience is eroding when the leadership is not hesitating to gun down
innocent student demonstrators whose only wish was to have their voices
heard.
Conscience is eroding when the leadership will stand in front of a whole
nation and lie to them about all the killings, kidnappings and rapings of
the innocent citizen.
Conscience is eroding when the intelligent, aspiring younger and older
experienced technocrats in the civil service expect to be  kicked out of
office any time without an iota of a justifiable reason.
Conscience is eroding when the leadership will not hesitate to indulge in
selfish, corrupted schemes in the name of government to enrich themselves at
the cost of a whole nation.
Conscience is eroding when the poor citizen farmers living in unimaginable
conditions of poverty are waiting for two years to get paid for their
produce.
Conscience is eroding when these farmers are being harrased to pay their
taxes in time.
Conscience is eroding when the citizen looses an ounce or more of trust in
the leadership everyday.

What does it take to restore conscience when it is lost or eroded?
Many things have been said about the leadership in Gambia since it's
inception in 1994. The good the bad and the ugly. The worst thing that has
ever happened to the Gambia and it's people is the constant degeneration of
the conscience of the leadership (if they had any in the first place).
Leaders turning into sociopaths, psychopaths and eventually full blown
animals cannot and will not rule a people, majority of whom have their
conscience intact.

I urge all of us to stand up to what we believe in and don't let these
animals drive us into their boat of destruction.

I will cut this short with a quote from an  English poet William Blake:
"Conscience in those that have it is unequivocal."

Enjoy your day.

RISE UP! SPEAK UP! AND LIVE UP!

Abdoulie A. Jallow
Send money to anyone,via e-mail. Free & secure.
https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=ajallow%40usd.edu