GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:59:13 +0200
Friends,
how do you change the constitution of The Gambia ?
How is the constitution "protected" against  "arbitrary" changes?

If you want to change a single word in the danish constitution you has to
decide so with a very high  number of votes in the parliament. Next you have
a national referendum where all with voting right has to cast their votes
for or against the changes. Then you have a new parliamentary election and
the new elected parliament has also to decide the changes with a high number
of votes. This a very difficult procedure, but it´s for the protection of
the constitution, and for the protection of  the minority of the people who
don´t want changes, or for the protection that a party or government or
parliament with a high majority of seats can change the constitution in a
direction that they want it, just because it suits them well.

How is the constitution of the Gambia "protected" against  changes ? by a
majority-party ? a president in power ?

The French parliament has just with a big majority decided that the term for
the french president will in the future go from 7  to 5 years.

Question from Asbjørn Nordam