GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:29:18 +0200
Friends,
two reported incidents got me to this comment on infrastructure.

Gambia is divided into north- and south-banks by the river Gambia. Therefor
the people need to cross the river to obtain maximum contact. Until now the
country has not build bridges crossing and has to rely on the few ferries.
It´s very important that the ferries are maintained to the highest standard.
So they can run frequently and with the minimum risk for passengers
But it´s also important that the highest standard of rescue-systems are kept
in order and the staff is trained to handle every situation.
I wonder why they did not use an anchor, when the ferry started to drift ?
And I do hope that there are life-boats, life-belts and all such equipment
available.
Asbjørn Nordam