GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 14:55:34 EDT
Elhadj,

Thank you for this reminder to all Gambians that it it time to join hands to
rescue our country before it is too late, and which call echoes that of many
of the list members who have expressed that need here in the last few months.
Landing has a point, but although we are not at home, there is much we can
contribute, and our reminders for the need to join hands as Gambians to put
an end to  the chaos at home is also something that should be ongoing, as it
will let the people on the ground know that we are concerned and we are ready
to assist them in this endeavour.

It is absolutely imperative that our opposition parties as well as all
Gambians set aside our differences political or otherwise, to join hanfds and
save our country and our people in this time of crises, otherwise, there will
be no political platform   to defend with half the population murdered, and
the rest  cynical about politics and politicians.

This is why some of us continue to urge all Gambians, especially our
politicians to make a concerted effort to come up with a joint plan to solve
this problem we now face.Any individual or political party seeking public
office to defend and serve the nation, has automatically told us that it is
our welfare as a nation and as a people that is their priority, and that they
will be there to serve us and our needs as a people and a nation. We want
them to put their money where their moutn is in this moment of
despair.Otherwise, after it is all said and done, and after a rampage that
will leave the Gambia in an irreparable state, their words will sound empty
to our ears, and we will not be convinced that their interest was not just an
agenda for personal survival at the expense of those whose lot they say they
are in business to improve at all levels.

Having said that, I also realize that it is not only the politicians who have
to join hands in this effort, but all Gambians from every walk of life. Each
and everyone of us can make a contribution to this cause, no matter how
small, and if we all think hard enough, I am positive that we can think of
some little way we can help.

Some of us have expressed our readiness to assist, and we have sent out our
opinions as well as challenges to those on the ground who can come together
to get this process underway.Whether our politicians make the move or
continue to come up with reasons why they cannot proceed one way or another,
will determine where we end up as a people and a nation and how we view them
in the future.

Meanwhile, I urge those of us who are not on the ground, but who can
nevertheless make a contribution towards rescuing our nation to come together
and do what we can because simply put, we just cannot afford not to make the
effort.

Jabou Joh.

<<