GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:12:11 EDT
Hamjatta, thanks again for your contributions. You are right to point out
that we have a ticking time bomb in our hands with the way the Ebrima Barry
case and the April 10 and 11 massacre is being handled by the illegal regime
we have back home. Something has to give here. Either the government makes
sure that punishment is meted out appropriately, or the people stand up and
register their disgust to the regime. There is nothing theoretical or naïve
about calls for a mass demonstration against the despicable behavior of this
regime. Just few days ago it was posted here on G_L that the storied
professor Mazrui was calling for mass protests in Kenya. What is ironic is
that the justification this man was giving for calling the mass
demonstration pales in comparison to the problems we have back home. Am not
trying to minimize the plight of the Kenyans. But I know that in my book it
is far more heinous to kill defenseless children than to loot government
coffers. Yaya has done to us everything Mazrui complained about in Kenya and
more. We should fight back now in order to avoid a bigger catastrophe. Under
no circumstances should the opposition leaders allow children to organize a
mass demonstration just for them to be butchered by Yaya's security forces.
The opposition leaders themselves should ensure that justice is done. If
Yaya does not heed their demands, they should be prepared to mobilize their
bases and demonstrate against Yaya. Like I said before, UDP supporters were
prepared to take the authorities on had the courts decided to incarcerate
Darboe unlawfully. They should be prepared to do the same for the sake of
our children. All the parties should come together on this one. Justice will
only be done if they let Yaya know in no uncertain terms that we are not
prepared to compromise the death of our children.
Hamjatta, you are also right that we are sending the international community
the wrong signals by engaging in business as usual with a dictator that
ordered the murder of innocent children. Yaya has to treated like the vermin
he is, and crushed.
KB