GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 20:00:55 EST
Ebrima:
Big problem with the elections and the "electoral college system."

Starting last night the major TV Networks (CNN, NBC, CBS) started making some
comical blunders that questioned the process of projecting results before
official announcements.  At around 10PM Eastern Standard Time they reported
that based on their projections, Al Gore had won Florida and thus taken her
25 electoral votes.  This win placed him in a commanding and almost
unassailable lead.  But minutes later the cameras flashed to Dubya's
headquarters where, in the presence of his father, ex president Bush sr,
Barbara Bush and a few others, he said that he had reliable info that Florida
had not been lost.
Note: The reliable source was his brother Jeb who is governor of Florida.

Bernard Shaw and Judy Woodruff at CNN headquarters raised their eyebrows,
asked him if he was sure, and minutes later cut-away from Dubyas Hqs to
announce, much to their embarassment, that they had indeed blundered, Florida
was indeed too close to call.

So the night went on and, despite my apathy for the two me, I stayed glued to
CNN.  A few hrs later with all the ballots counted, Dubya had 246 votes and
Gore was a few votes behind with Florida looming large since her 25 votes
would give the Republicans and Bush the White House.  At around 2 AM PT, CNN
announced that Florida Gore had lost Florida and Gore would be the next
president.

Gore called the victor to concede.  But much to Dubya's chagrin, Gore called
back later to withdraw his concession since the margin in Florida (2000
votes) was narrow enough for a recount.  Supposedly, Bush and AL had a few
unpleasant words to the point where AL said: " George you don't have to be so
snippy about it."

So hear we stand.  Business will not be complete in Florida until close of
business day tomorrow.  However, the spin masters are having a field day.
Rumours are swirling that Pat Buchanan received 3000 of Al's votes due to
some confusion with the tickets.  Another rumor is swirling around that
claims they found one or two missing ballot boxes in South Florida which is a
Democrat Party stronghold.

one thing is for sure, the Republicans would have lost Florida if it were not
for the absentee ballots (about 100,000)that are cast mainly by senior
citizens and army personnel.  The Republicans ran a strong campaign among
these absentee voters.  so don't be surprised if Bush wins the recount.

I believe this experience is a learning experience for the Networks and
people that run the electoral college.  The method used to determine the
victor seems to be a boit outdated.  How else can you explain Al Gore winning
the popular vote but about to lose the contest?  As for the TV Networks, they
are smarting from the failure of the projection process.

Anyway, we are all in limbo here.  Nevertheless, at the end of the day, the
lesser of two evils will be in the White House.  I just hope he doesn't go on
a Vodka bender on inauguration day and start world war 3.