GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aisha Sallah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:24:26 GMT
Amat why then do we want to impose this democracy that we do not understand?
When we know that we are doomed to always count casualties if such process
should take place.

Amat you are able to understand this type of democracy but tell me
specifically the understanding of democracy in the eyes of Africans. I can
say that as far as democracy is concern there only exist two approaches to
deal with democracy in the eyes of the African and that is to either
implement the true definition of democracy or no democracy at all(meaning we
keep our traditional democracy which in my eyes is the involvement of the
elderly who always sort out our differences).

How can you teach Africans that in the "highly evolved democratic society
that is the US", some blacks are not eligible to vote because of their race
which is an "alleged irregularity and confusion", that we should watch and
learn from it, and if we understand this there will certainly not be any
casualty. Remember that we are being educated by western imperialist and are
their products and that we are just but a handful of the whole continent.
You can never get illiterate Africans to understand this and I do not
believe that you can ever get them to understand such a definition and to
talk about us who've been to school, we do sometimes find it difficult to
understand what the master is imposing although we tend to digest it. Allow
me to disagree with you in the name of democracy when you say that "everyday
life in the US has not come to a halt" this I suppose you mean is thanks to
the US-democracy of cause this is expected in the US because the
African-Americans are already immune to such a system we in africa are not
yet immune to imperialist democracy.

/Aisha