GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
baba jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 14:29:01 -0000
Please allow me to contribute to this debate on whether Gamtel is  to blame
for difficulty in calling the gambia from the us.

Gamtel actually have direct links with the three main long distance
companies in the us ( AT&T, MCI and Sprint), and most if not all calls from
the USA, notwithstanding your local company), "should" pass through any one
of these companies.

These companies actually gather traffic statistics and make projections on
the traffic volume to the Gambia, and decisions on whether to increase the
traffic volume or not is made yearly. I was made to understand that the
international traffic between Gamtel (Gambia) and the three major carriers
in the US has no technical or volume problem, not yet. If there was these
companies like AT&T would have requested an increase in traffic volume to
the Gambia. But they haven't. Are you guys with me?

There is one problem that some of the list members should be aware of
though. Some of these "local companies" or card companies do not necessarily
have to go through the main long distance carriers in the US.

To keep their call rates low, they have to find the cheapest rate (route) to
the Gambia, even if this involves going through the heavily congested routes
to the Gambia.

Lamin wrote

" I then was put through to the International operator who informed me
that there will be a charge if he put me through which I agree cos I had no
choice.
Amazingly,it was a matter of seconds b4 I heard the phone ringing! I  "

This just backs up my theory. In the first case you were trying to access
the cheapest route ( unintentionally ) but couldn't because the route was
too congested. But when you tried the international operator, he/she used
the direct route to the gambia and, surprise surprise you were home and dry.

I think Gamtel will appreciate all your contributions and i want to believe
that they are aware of the problem which those in the business call
"refiling".

But please understand that the problem is not with Gamtel. The company is
well equipped technically with any demand on traffic. The infrastructure
installed at Gamtel for international traffic is one of the latest.
Increment on traffic does not require any new hardware but just equipment
reconfiguration since most of the equipment (international) are used below
capacity.

This is a problem with the telephone companies one uses to call the Gambia.
Most of these companies do not have any direct links with the gambia, but
they are attractive to subscribers because they offer the cheapest price.
But this comes with a price, long waiting queues to be able to get through"

I hope this answers your questions.