GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:49:21 -0800
Hi folks,

I'd mentioned in a previous posting that this case about Alieu S Keita was not
really worth pursuing, but I'd like to have just one last posting on it.

First, thanks to Prince for his congratulating us on our "promotion" by Mr.
Keita.  I'm sure we deserved it.

Second, I would like to share what I know with Mr. Keita so he too will from now
on be an "expert."  This will be good because there then be at least two of us,
rather than just me, and this can only be good for The Gambia.  So Mr. Keita,
the expertise that's involved in tracing IP numbers and all that stuff is
nothing more sophisticated than getting the IP number you want to find more
information about, and checking information about it using an online database
that's usually called a "whois" server.

With regards finding information about an e-mail's IP number, here's how you
should proceed:

a) If you have Microsoft's Outlook Express as your mail client, simply highlight
the e-mail, and then click on "File" (from your menu bar), then select
"Properties", and then click on the "Details" tab to show you all the
information that the e-mail's top part or "header" has.  Depending on how many
points the e-mail passed through before getting to you, you will see a number of
lines that begin with "Received: from ..." Scroll down to the last "Received:
from ..." and you will see an IP number associated with the machine that the
e-mail was sent from.

b) If you have Netscape, then the procedure is much simpler.  Highlight the
e-mail, click on "View" in your menu bar, click on "Headers" and then on "All"
You will then see that the top part of the e-mail will show a number of
number of the originating machine.  By the way, you can revert to your regular
view of your e-mail headers by repeating the above procedure, and selecting
either "Normal" or "Brief"

The next step would then be to get information about who owns the IP number you
just found.  Using the IP number (213.36.82.225) of the e-mail you sent below,
you can go to any number of "whois" service providers, enter the IP number and
search for it.  In your case, I know your IP number originated from Europe, and
so I'll go straight to RIPE (http://www.ripe.net click on the "whois db"
button), and enter the IP Number in the search box.  Here's a snippet of the
output I got:

> inetnum:     213.36.80.0 - 213.36.100.143
> netname:     FR-PRAXITEL-2000
> descr:       Praxitel / Liberty Surf is a free Internet Service Provider
> descr:       based in France
> country:     FR
> admin-c:     ED1197-RIPE
> tech-c:      BG34

And the output goes on and on ...  Please note that you can access other whois
servers (e.g. APNIC, and ARIN) by clicking on the "related links" button from
RIPE homepage.  So you are now an "expert"  Congratulations, and welcome to the
liars club!

Finally, with regards my Ph.D., I did not award it to myself.  I got it from the
University of Wisconsin, Madison, and here's the link to their Graduate School:
http://www.wisc.edu/grad/gs/admiss/forappl.html  Please contact them if you want
a Ph.D. for yourself, they'll be glad to send you the application materials.
And do let me know if I can be of any help.

Have a great week, and best wishes in your endeavors.

Sincerely,

Katim