GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:49:46 +0100
"Jeng, Beran" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Habib and Amadou allow me to jump in your debate to contribute my piece. I'm not
> an admirer of
> Ghaddaffi for various reasons and I know that most Arabs look down on black
> Africans and generally
> refer to us as "bilal". My problem is why our African leaders are not condemning
> the atrocities
> on our people. Is it because of the money?If your own leaders don't respect you
> how the hell do
> you expect to be respected by others.
>
> Thanks for allowing me to butt in.
>
> Beran

Beran,

Thanks for your input. However, I don't think this debate is about Ghaddaffi. This is about Arab contempt for Africans, something that this guy who's calling me brother, will never accept. Believe me, if the perpetrators had been Israelis, he would have gone to town with Jews this and Jews that. However when they happen to be Arabs, as in this case, it is Ghaddaffi this, and Ghaddaffi that. Who's he kidding.

Ghaddaffi is no Saint, but unlike many Africans I have not formed my opinion about him based on Western propaganda. The man clearly has his faults, but even what he leaves behind in his toilet is much better than most Arabs. The West clearly has its own crusade against a man who has refused to bow to them. He has been accused of having wrecked havoc in some African countries but at the same time when many Black African leaders were flirting with the Apartheid regime, Ghaddaffi was at the forefront of the battle to do away with that evil system. He provided logistical, financial, military and moral support for both SWAPO and the ANC. Many received military training in Libya precisely because of Ghaddaffi's personal hatred for apartheid.

Once, when Baba Jobe trying to get into the El Fatah university campus from the back entrance not knowing that Ghaddaffi was visiting, security forces tried to rush him, to which Ghaddaffi reacted angrily, inviting Baba to a chat, inquiring about his nationality, what he was studying, and how he was thriving, even asking him what could be done to improve the condition of African students at the university. ALL of them were on scholarships: free meals, free housing and an allowance that made it unnecessary for them to do part time work. So my opinion of the man is not based solely on Western propaganda.

When a delegation from the Nation of Islam visited Tripoli in the early eighties, a member of the entourage could not help confiding in a friend of mine that after being in Tripoli for some days he clearly believed that Ghaddaffi was the only revolutionary in Libya because of the contempt with which they were constantly treated.

Libyans love Ghaddaffi because when he ceased power from King Edris, he immediately went to work improving their living conditions. The gains made are very tangible even today, especially in the fields of health and education which are still free. When sanctions were lifted on Libya after over a decade there was still zero unemployment in that country. If Habib wants a debate about Ghaddaffi, we can take that separately and I'll demonstrate his political gullibility to him. However this is about Arab attitudes in general toward Africans.

A BBC television report some two weeks ago showed some Nigerians who had just been evacuated from Libya, most with stab serious wounds. All of those interviewed praised Ghaddaffi and exempted him personally from any blame for the atrocities. They praised him further for having relaxed immigration laws which would have made it easier for them to bring over their spouses to join them. This humane move was what triggered  the brutalities. Having been there, I know what I'm talking about. Many a time "khimar" (donkey) has been shouted after me in the streets of Tripoli. I have witnessed a Libyan driver run down a Black African and then went about kicking him and shouting "khimar"  because the guy was "stupid enough" to be run down and dent his beautiful BMW!

If all Arabs shared Ghaddaffi's attitude "multiple personality" or not, this world would be a much better place.

Regards,

Kabir.