GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:22:45 EST
Hi everyone:

I could not help but comment on your assertion that Wu Jawara made the wrong
move.  Though I am not a supporter of the ex-president, it is quite obvious
that Sir Dawda Jawara is an angel when compared to the present leader of the
country.  His government, while filled with a bunch of semi-illiterate good
for nothings, was much better than the present regime which is full of angry
ex-army officers and dominated by members of certain ethnic groups.

Furthermore, Sir Dawda was a humanitarian, a good man whose government was
eventually felled by the very people he appointed due to the nepotistic
nature of government appointments.  But when it comes down to it, there were
hardly any human rights abuses during his almost 30 years of rule.  People
were not intimidated and harassed by ill disciplined law enforcement officers
or an out of control secret service.  He was a true gentleman that was
respected by members of the sub-region as well as the majority of the Gambian
population.

In no way am I defending Jawara's regime because I believe he dropped the
baton when it concerned the development of our country.  His appointments
were too nepotistic and, as a result, his appointees at the various sensitive
government positions felt like they could break the rules and underperform
without getting censored or even losing their jobs.  However, I do believe
that compared to the present regime, his government has a slightly better
track record.

In conclusion, Wu Jawara really has nothing to fear.  In my opinion, he is
representing a good man who still has the respect of the Gambian people as
compared to the present tyrant in power.  In fact, I believe that Sir Dawda
should be given the opportunity to return to The Gambia and live out the rest
of his life as a respected man among the people that once respected him so
much.  He deserves this and the people of our country it to him.