GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 23:13:15 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 16:29:41 -0800
From: Charlotte Utting <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: [wa-afr] URGENT ACTION NEEDED ON INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT!

Amnesty International, The World Federalist Association, and others are
joining in a massive national campaign to urge the United States' signature
to establish the International Criminal Court (ICC) Treaty BEFORE December
31, 2000.  This is the deadline  because the ICC Treaty stipulates that
after this date the treaty will not be open for signature (and only
"accession" meaning that signature and  ratification would have to take
place simultaneously for the U.S. to be a party to ths Court).  By signing
the treaty, President Clinton will not only demonstrate US support for the
rule of law and for equal justice for all, but will also oblige future
administrations to not undermine the Court, even before the US has ratified
the treaty. Although we now have temporary courts to deal with crimes
against humanity and genocide in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia, there is
no permanent mechanism in place to deal with such crimes.

Here's what you are urged to do:
1.  The best is to send a letter to President Clinton.  (part of my letter
is below--with address and details of what is at stake.)
2.  Also, participate in the National Call-In Day on December 10, Human
Rights Day.  Call 202-456-1414 and urge President Clinton to sign the treaty
by the deadline.
3.  A petition urging him to sign is available on-line at:
http://www/amnestyusa.org/icc/index.html.

OKAY GUYS--NOW DO IT!

President Bill Clinton
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear President Clinton:

...As you know the deadline for the United States to sign on the
International Criminal Court is rapidly approaching:  December 31, 2000.
After this, there will be no opportunity for the U.S. to join the world
community of nations in adopting this very much needed treaty to show that
we, too, are a nation of laws, for after this date, it will no longer be
open for signature. Although 120 nations adopted this treaty when it was
proposed in l998, the U.S. is one of only seven (among them, Libya, Yemen,
Quatar, Iraq, China) that voted "no."  It is my understanding that when you
were in Rwanda in l998, you declared that in order to prevent future acts of
genocidal violence:
    "we must make it clear to all those who would commit such acts in the
future that they too
    must answer for their acts, and they will...  Internationally, as we
meet here, talks are under-
    way at the United Nations to establish a permanent international
criminal court...  And the
    United States will work to see that it is created."

Mr. President, what happened to your promise?  I plead with you to sign on
to this treaty before you leave office.  It will be a truly important part
of your legacy and will enable me to feel less ashamed of our lack of action
that I am at present.

Sincerely yours,

Charlotte Utting