GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 11:27:46 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:20:44 -0800
From: Carol McRoberts <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [wa-afr] Fw: [women-csd] Fw: GLOBAL WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION
    ASSESSMENT 2000 LAUNCHED BY

FYI
Subject: [women-csd] Fw: GLOBAL WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION ASSESSMENT 2000
LAUNCHED BY

> > NEWS FROM THE WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION COLLABORATIVE COUNCIL
> >
> > *** GLOBAL WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION ASSESSMENT 2000
> >
> > "It is shameful, a scandal that almost half of the world's population
does
> > not have access to adequate sanitation," said Dr Richard Jolly, Chair of
> > the Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC).
> >
> > Access to safe water and sanitary means of excreta disposal are
universal
> > needs and basic human rights. They are vital for the dignity and health
of
> > all people.
> >
> > Yet, despite tremendous efforts in the last two decades to
> > provide improved water and sanitation services for the poor in the
> > developing world, today 2.4 billion people worldwide still do not have
any
> > acceptable means of sanitation, while 1.1 billion people do not have an
> > improved water supply.
> >
> > On 22 November WHO/UNICEF launched the Global Water Supply and
Sanitation
> > Assessment 2000 as 500 public health, water, and sanitation experts met
in
> > Brazil to call on the world to roll-out a major effort - VISION 21 - to
> > correct the "shameful" water and sanitation situation that plagues
> millions
> > of people in developing countries.
> >
> > The report attempts to provide a comprehensive assessment of the water
> > supply and sanitation sector. At the same time, it aims to serve as a
> source
> > of data on the current coverage status of water supply and sanitation
> > worldwide.
> >
> > Improved methodology
> >
> > The Assessment 2000 is the result of an improved methodology for the
> > collection and analysis of national water supply and sanitation coverage
> > data, moving away from from purely provider-based data and focussing on
> > consumer-based coverage information. This allows for better data on
> service
> > functioning, as consumer-based data refer to use of services rather than
> > solely their construction.
> >
> > The detailed national data will soon be made available on the WHO and
> UNICEF
> > websites so that users can make their own analysis according to their
> > specific needs. The paper version has been published by WHO (see below).
> > provide a truly global assessment, data from industrialized countries is
> > presented alongside that of developing countries.
> >
> > An enormous number of people gained access to services between 1990 and
> > 2000, but increases in percentage covered appear modest because of the
> huge
> > global population growth during that time.
> >
> > The numbers of unserved with both water supply and sanitation services
> > remained practically the same throughout the decade. The increase in
> > coverage was just enough to keep pace with population growth.
> >
> > Africa and Asia have the lowest levels of service coverage and the
> greatest
> > number of people without access. Two-thirds of people without access to
> > improved water supply and more than three-quarters of those without
access
> > to improved sanitation in the world are in Asia. African countries have
> the
> > lowest overall percentage coverage levels. One-third of all African
> > countries have less than 50% water supply coverage and half of all
African
> [...]
> the
> > sector, but much still needs to be done to improve our understanding of
> why
> > the current situation exists and what can be done to improve water
supply,
> > sanitation and hygiene.
> >
> > Findings
> > * Around a quarter of the 4.8 billion people in developing countries are
> > without access to improved sources of water, while half of them are
> without
> > access to improved sanitation services.
> > * Of the 4.9 billion people worldwide who have access to water supply
> > services, around 3 billion have the convenience of access through house
> > connections or yard taps.
> > * There are 4 billion cases of diarrhoea in the world every year, with
2.2
> > million deaths, mostly among children under five. Safe water, adequate
> > sanitation and hygiene can reduce diarrhoeal disease by between
> one-quarter
> > and one-third of these cases.
> > * Rural services still lag far behind urban ones, but delivering
> affordable
> > services to the rapidly growing numbers of urban poor remains a
formidable
> > challenge.
> > * Investments for providing basic services for the unserved poor lag far
> > behind those for improving services to the better-off in urban society.
> > Tariffs charged by water agencies in developing countries far from cover
> the
> > costs of producing and distributing water. In Africa, Asia, and Latin
> > America and the Caribbean the ratio between the unit average tariff and
> the
> > unit production cost is respectively 0.8, 0.7 and 0.9.
> > * In Africa, 30% of the rural water supplies are not functioning at any
> one
> > time. In Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean, the numbers are,
> > respectively, 17% and 4%.
> > * In the developing regions of the world, wastewater is treated in only
> > small number of systems. In Asia the figure lies around  35%, in Latin
> > America 14%, and in Africa, treatment is negligible. Even in
> industrialized
> > countries, sewage is not universally treated.
> > * In large cities of developing countries, the percentage of
> unaccounted-for
> > water is very high, around 40%. Most of this water is simply lost before
> > reaching the potential user. The consequences are particularly serious
for
> > the poor living in marginal areas.
> > * Not all the water distributed in large cities is safe. A number of
> cities
> > reported that most samples violated water quality standards.
> >
> > *WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation
> > (2000). Global water supply and sanitation assessment 2000 report.
Geneva,
> > Switzerland: World Health Organization, 2000. vii, 80 p. : 25 boxes, 81
> > fig., 10 maps, 13 tab. - 32 ref. ISBN 9241562021
> > Price: CHF 35 / US$ 31.50, developing countries: CHF 24.50
> > Available through booksellers or direct from: WHO, Distribution and
Sales,
> > mailto:[log in to unmask] (order no. 1150482)
> >
> > *** NEW EXECUTIVE SECRETARY: GOURI GHOSH
> >
> > In January 2001, Ranjith Wirasinha, Executive Secretary of the Council
> will
> > hand over to Gourisankar Ghosh, whose commitment and leadership
qualities
> > will ensure that the work in Foz do Iguaçu is carried forward in the
best
> > possible way. Ranjith has served the WSSCC since its first Global Forum
in
> > Oslo, Norway, in 1991.
> >
> > "It has been a marvellous experience to see the WSSCC grow steadily in
> > impact and influence, and, most of all, in friendliness and comradeship.
> > have drawn great satisfaction from the way that the voluntary
> contributions
> > of many dedicated individuals has added so much value to the support
> > provided by our core of committed donors. Vision 21 is the outstanding
> > example of that "people power". It will inspire me long after I hand
over
> > the secretarial reins. I am confident that in Foz do Iguaçu, we can
create
> > both the atmosphere and the practical programme to achieve our vision of
> > hygiene, sanitation and water for all."
> >
> > Gourisankar Ghosh is currently Chief of the WES Programme at UNICEF.
> Before
> > that he served as Joint Secretary at the Ministry of Rural Development
in
> > India.
> >
> > Excerpted from: SOURCE WATER AND SANITATION WEEKLY: SPECIAL FEATURES
> > EDITION (formerly Source Bulletin), December 2000
> > Visit the Source website at: http://www.wsscc.org/source/

> > For a list of other commands and list options, please send email to
> > In the body of the message type:
> > help
> >
> > Please direct content questions about this list to: [log in to unmask]
> >
> > Please direct technical questions about this service to:

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/1/_/23029/_/976346632/

Our next meeting is Wednesday, Nov 29, Safeco Ctr, E Main and 23rd (enter on upper level), Seattle
7:00 PM WSAN business meeting
8:00 PM Program: Nigeria Military & Peace Keeping
We usually meet the last Wednesday of the month.  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe sending a blank message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a blank message to [log in to unmask]  For complete information on the Washington State Africa Network visit: www.ibike.org/africamatters