GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:16:26 -0500
Ebrima:

With due respect, your source blew this one.  I know Cheyassin, and totally
disagree with your version.  Such character assassination will not help us
in our struggle against the dictatorship.  Mr. Kukoi Samba Sanyang, a
schoolmate at Saint Augustine's was not a taxi driver.

Cheyassin, together with the rest of the other puppets are conceived with
the illusion that dictator yahya will be in the Gambia forever.  When Mr.
Secka formed the National Liberation Party in 1976, I volunteered to help
him.  When Hon. Sheriff M. Dibba fell out with Sir Dawda, Cheyassin drifted
away in support of Mr. Dibba.  To our surprise, he decided to lead his own
party against the advise of many people.  Another disappointment Cheyassin
did, was when he contested in the off year elections in Banjul Central
Constituency.

I can attest that Mr. Secka is a brilliant and sincere Gambian.  I do not
know what came of him lately.  My feeling is that he is driven by power,
which certainly will destroy him.  I hope he can come to his senses and
jump ship.  The dictator will soon fire him and make him another mockery
within the confines of the dictatorship.

Naphiyo,

Comarade: M.Lamine Jassey-Conteh

Cheyassin
> [...]
as
> >the resident intellectual, he proceeded to draft the Long the
> >Revolution/Enough is Enough, No MORE speech (in his own hand writing
which
> >implicated him ) that Kukoi read over Radio Gambia on those fateful days
> >in June/July 1981. Of course, what followed is history and Cheyassin fled
> >Dakar and was later repatriated to stand trial for treason. Another
failed
> >attempt by Cheyassin to become President of the Republic. Instead of
being
> >President, he won the title of "treasonable felon."
> >
> >During his imprisonment at Mile II, it was Ousainou Daboe and many like
him
> >who kept Cheyassin's family going and his children kept in school.  It is
> >this very same Cheyassin Secka who is now trying to provide the enabling
> >legal environment to exterminate, literally and figuratively, Ousainou
> >Daboe
> >and any opposition (be it PDOIS or NPR) that stands in Cheyassin's way to
> >grab the Presidency of the Republic of The Gambia.  According to my
> >sources,
> >Cheyassin is impatient and he would like to create the environment now
> >before the November elections to grab power; something that has eluded
him
> >ever since he ran and lost to be President of the Student Council at
> >American University and the strings of failures that followed since then
> >and
> >are enumerated above. Cheyassin will not be allowed to succeed in his
plans
> >and that the elctions will be held and the APRC Government will be driven
> >the Atlantic Ocean.  They have failed the Gambian people, they have
failed
> >the international community and they have failed even their earlier
> >supporters.
> >
> >The precedence-setting 30-odd amendments to the Constitution is a
> >deliberate
> >act to further muddy the waters but we have news for Cheyassin: WE WILL
> >RESIST IT.  Infact, we are counselling Solomon Teliwa Johnson to file a
> >suit in court contesting the constitutionality of his dismissal.
> >Cheyassin, you know that Yahya's action to dismiss the Chairman and a
> >member
> >of th IEC is unconstitutional and it will be fought in the Supreme Court.
> >The legality of your recent actions will also be challenged in the
courts.
> >We all know what the APRC is trying to avoid; ELECTIONS. But elections
will
> >be held and we will insist on them being free, fair and internationally
> >monitored. 1996 will never be repeated in The Gambia.
> >
> >Cheyassin is being driven into madness by his personal failures both as a
> >student activist and a politician. He will go to any length to please
Yahya
> >just so that he will eventually grab power for himself. He has attempted
it
> >once. He will attempt it again. I guarantee, he will fail again and
> >miserably so.  Thanks, Ebrima and happy Ramadan to all.

> if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to write
your full name and e-mail address.

--- Lamine Conteh
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.