SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Melanie Lazarow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:52:55 +1000
Re: Brad McCormick's contribution.

It might be your personal opinion that Darwin is not one of the most
important scientific thinkers of the last few centuries. However as far as
an impact on science and society is concerned your personal opinion may be
proved wrong.

Evolutionary theory turned old notions on their head and had an influence
on every aspect of science and society today

In John Dewey's words Darwin's Origin "introduced a mode of thinking that
in the end was bound to transform the logic of knowledge, and hence the
treatment of morals, politics, and religion."

Darwin's method, which was one of careful observation analysis and
conclusions that challenged even his own strongly held beliefs, gave
impetus to an empirical science of nature.

The question of liking or disliking Darwin's writing, theory or ideas, and
preferring others, should not be confused with the undoubtedly important
place Darwin holds in history and I for one am grateful!