GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:50:23 EST
I have certainly been following this media access issue and I must say there
are no surprises. I think it is a dream for any African country to think that
media access will be bilaterally equal between opposition and the government,
more over on a government news port. I might be one of the few ignorant here
about African politics, but certainly not of Gambian politics.
There has never been a time in Gambian history when the opposition has been
covered as much as the ruling party. And yes, it is true that what is news
worthy might be different from one society to another, but in any developing
country, to imagine that a government sponsored news outlet will cover the
opposition as the government, I think it is a big dream.
Tombong might try to convince us that this is possible, but history tells us
differently. I wish the opposition will come up with a way of reaching the
people. They can easily have their own radio station just like they have
their own web sites. A TV station might be too ambitious, but not any of them
even have a national news paper but PDOIS.
Let us wake up to the reality of our nation and stop dreaming. Tombong has
little or no control of what is to be aired at GRTS. He is an employee of the
regime, and he is not going to dig his own grave. He has to defend the
regime, and at what expense might be debatable.
To those who think we should not debate with people who supports the regime,
I say to them what of if another changes come; and there are bound to be
opponents. Obviously there will be changes sooner or later, and some of us
too might be in the coming regime. Will it be right to stop debating us as an
individual from our national issues?
Just my thought. I am not begging for answers.

Ousman Bojang