GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:10:32 -0000
Mr. Kujabi,

I barely have time to elaborate on this, but I share your sentiments in
their entirety. I just red the Dalasi fwd by Tombong, and it's obvious to me
that the Brother is doing exactly what you've exposed. I do have some
respect for Tombong 'cause unlike most Jammeh sycophants, he does say things
that one can understand -even if one disagrees w/him on anything Jammeh like
I do. But the point here is: you're dead on as far as Tombong's motive in
fwding this piece. And don't forget that this is in fact a piece ran by APRC
govt-hated The Independent newspaper. If his govt had their way, there won't
be The Independent in The Gambia. So the only motive for the fwd is to
dispel notions of a Dalasi irrelevance (in our sub-region) as a consequence
of govt-induced economic melt-down, given that "even Senegalese farmers"
prefer the Dalasi to the CFA. I can visualize Jammeh spouting such rubbish
on a political platform.

Also, I don't see any contradiction between Mr. Sanneh's views and your's.
He's looking at the issue from a different angle: man's relentless quest to
obtain maximum utility from the scarce resources at his disposal relative to
the endless economic problems he's faced with. Artificial "national"
boundaries are immaterial in such a quest. You've both made a valid point.

But I LOVE your take on what this forum is all about! The key word is
"integrity." If Jammeh's people can come here and defend him truthfully, I'm
all for that. But if they keep using underhanded tactics in a quest to
whudwink us just as they do to Gambians on a national scale back home, then
they'll never have any peace here. I haven't been up to the task lately, but
I'm glad people like yourself are vigilant. Good luck and keep it up. Gotto
go...

Saul.