GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 09:08:42 -0500
Lameen and Sheikh Tejan,

TOURISM SECTOR
Given the current state of the sector which is faced with deteriorating
infrastructure, stiffer compeletion from other destinations, punitive
regulations and the like, it is quite tempting to react sponteniously with
policy initiatives without much thought given to the ramifications of a
piece-meal approach. A comprehensive review of the sector is needed,
including but not limited to the overall perception of The Gambia as an
attractive and competetive tourist destination. The issue must also be
approached systematically.  Anything short of this approach will prove
disasterous for a sector that The Gambia cannot afford to cede to the
competition given the importance of the sector to the Gambian economy. As I
stated before, it is imperative that those with the requisite expertise in
the field be allowed to conduct the study, without hinderance, now that
grant, and not loan funds, are available to do just that. I also expect
that local expertise will be utilised in this exercise in collaboration
with a world-class consultanting firm which will be selected, as the lead
firm, in accordance with International Competetive Bidding procedure.

FISHERIES SUB-SECTOR

I have been following with keen interest the healthy debate between Rene
Badjan,Musa Jeng,Yeks Drammeh and Yusupha Jow on the vexing issues facing
the fishing industry in The Gambia. I am not sure the fish processing plant
that is being referred to in your discussions but I can say this much for
now: artisanal fishing is the primary economic activity of Senegalese and
Gambian fishermen operating in The Gambia. The facilities this category of
fishermen need are very basic compared to the industrial fishmen. Though
basic, significant investment is needed which is usually beyond their
financial means.  Thus enters the government to provide fish-smoking
infrastructure, access roads to markets in their area of operation (Kombo
St Mary's, Kiang, Nuimi etc),introduce and/or improve fish-preservation
methods and transportation, provide revolving credit scheme (for purchase
of fishing gear and outdoor motors etc.) operated and managed by themselves
with administrative/management support and advise from government and NGOs.
The artisanal fisheries sub-sector has been self-sustaining in the past,
even from the point of view of the preservation/conservation aspect that is
the primary concern of Yeks Drammeh. I see no reason why this should not
continue to be the case provided that government acts as a facilitator
rather than an operator. Yeks Drammeh may not agree with me on this point
but I strongly believe that less government involvement in this sub-sector
will yield better results which, in my book, means more income for the
artisanal fisherman.  Industrial fishing, which is the primary domaine of
European and Asian fishermen, is a different kettle of fish, literally.
Because of the fishing methods utilised, using trawlers (floating
processing plants)that dump fish, fish by-products and effluent into the
Ocean, illegal net-sizes, illegal fishing in the territorial waters of The
Gambia and other West African countries with limited or no means of
policing these waters all add up to the problems that you have emunerated
during your discussions. Apart from a few Gambian entrepreneurs who have
benefitted from the fishing licenses which they sell to owners of these
monstrocities cum-trawlers/floating factories at huge sums and, usually, in
foreign currency, benefits accruing to the Gambian economy is insignificant
compared to those of the artisanal fishing sub-sector. In our discussion,
let us distinquish between the two sub-sectors for clarity. That's all for
now.

Sidi Sanneh