GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:25:23 EST
Ebrima, KB, George, Hamjatta, Sigga and everyone involved in the struggle, I would really like to express my heartfelt feelings of gratitude for the wonderful work you have done towards making things right in The Gambia.

Your efforts to setup websites which educate the World as to the plight of the Gambia, or those in exposing fraud and corruption through sources in the highest echelons of The Gambian society, as well your general willingness to fight for truth, justice and fairness have to be admired by all.  In fact, I daresay your contributions to making a positive change are larger than you realize. Just rewards will surely follow!

Even though I have set a wrong example, by getting baited into an exchange by the same type of tactics our president has used to divide and rule.  Point in case, his tirades against the people who live in certain relatively affluent parts of the country. In the process, disregarding the fact that those people also came from humble beginnings and some of us were there to witness when they moved into half comleted houses in desolate areas like Fajara in the 70s.  Yet they had a mission: To make the best for their families in lieu of their own humble beginnings.

People like the butcher of Kanilai have used class and tribalist tactics to try to divide us.   Unfortunately, this type of attitude is also present here on the L, and unless we are willing to put our differnces aside and work towards a common goal (Yahya-Less Gambia), some of the same problems we have experienced in the past will continue to manifest themselves.

While I understand that I have taken away, albeit slightly, from one of the main common goals of the L by wearing my emotions on my sleeve, I will not stand aside and watch anyone ruin the good name of our parents who worked so hard to make a better life.

Most of us understand the difference between right and wrong.  Let's put personal issues aside and all contribute in the most appropriate way we see fit to make justice and peace prevail once more in our once beautiful country.