GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodoulamin jatta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:31:35 -0800
--- kebba daffeh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> DATE:22 FEB 2001
>
> FROM:[log in to unmask]
>
> TO: [log in to unmask]
>
> SUBJECT:DISCUSSION ON THE CURRENT POLITICAL CLIMATE
> IN THE GAMBIA
>
> Dear List members,
>
> I would first of all like to thank Abdoulie Saine,
> Malanding Jaiteh and Solomon Sylva for writing to
> welcome me to the list.

        > As i promised in my first sending to the
list,i
> [...]
> on the current political climate in the Gambia
> inorder to come out with constructive ideas that may
> help in our search for possible solutions.
>
> I am quite sure that some of you will agree with me
> that the current state of affairs in our country
> leaves to be desired.To begin the discussion, allow
> me to clearly state that i am not anti Jammeh but a
> pro Gambia.I have nothing personal against Yahya
> Jammeh but i do have a lot of objections against
> President Jammeh the head of state,whose
> authoritarian style of leadership in my view, is to
> some extent responsible for bringing the Gambia to
> this sad situation.
>
> I am not and have never been a member of any
> political party or organisation.However i consider
> myself as a Gambian who loves and cares  for his
> country.This is the reason why i have decided to
> take part in this discussion forum.
>
> Gambian people have always respected their
> leaders.This however  implies that their leaders
> equally should respect them.Threatening people with
> brooms to sweep them from their work places,six feet
> deep burials or rolling off their heads may probably
> work in other places unknown to me but not in the
> Gambia.Such threats in my view just erodes the
> mutual respect that was once almost sacred in our
> culture.Most Gambians don't understand the language
> of threats and the events of April 10/11 is a
> testimony to that.
>
> As Gambians we have a lot in common and this is what
> unites us as a people with one destiny.Our country
> is a peaceful one.Everyday thousands of Gambians
> gather in mosques and churches to pray for peace and
> stability.This is formular of our peace and not the
> threats of slicing people or buring them very deep.
>
> Gambian civil servants are employees of the
> state.They serve the state and the people of the
> Gambia and not individuals.They owe their loyality
> to the government and people of the Gambia but not
> to political parties.They have duties and
> obligations to perform and a civil service code of
> conduct to adhere to.These are the parameters on
> which their efficiency should be judged.In today's
> Gambia however, people widely regarded as
> professionals are being sacked from their jobs
> without explanations.
>
> The Gambia should be govern by the rule of
> law.Gambians should not be subjected to any form of
> harasment because of their political views.In the
> Gambia of today, the president publicly declared in
> TV that those who disagree with him should be fired
> from their jobs and be replaced with his supporters.
>
>  As much as much as we recognise the need for a
> reconciliation and healing process,after the bloody
> events of april 10/11, there is also a need for
> justice.We Gambians are not witch hunters but the
> people responsible for the killings of school
> children should face the law unless we want to sow
> the seeds of lawness.
>
> Your views are welcome,God bless the Gambia

            I am more of an observer than any thing,
but your points are a cabon copy of the views i have
as far  as politics is concerned in the Gambia.I hop
Jammeh and the rest of his kind sees and acknowledge
these very important (BASIC) pints.
        I look foward to reading more of your postings

     Lamin Jatta